Question

Stuck VMDK From the Veeam Proxies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hey guys,
I have the same random problem with my Proxies (Windows), VMDK are still attached to my proxies randomly once the job finish. 
The proxies are not backuped during the different backup jobs. 

The Vms that Veeam processed is found to require consolidation.

On the vmware side I found a log " Unable to access file since it is locked An error occurred while consolidating disks: Failed to lock the file. Consolidation failed for disk node 'scsi0:0': Failed to lock the file." at the end of the backup job.

But I don’t find the root cause. Have any of you ever encountered this problem?

31 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Curious, what version of windows are you running on the proxies?

Actually that is a good question as we tend “if” using Windows to use Core not desktop experience.  But not sure it would make a difference in this case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

We are using a windows with desktop experience

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

you said you also created a Veeam support case.
Is there any progress there?
Is there anything in the logs on the proxy (eventlogs and or veeamlogs) than could explain this behavior.

I have been running into this issue with Linux proxies and have found that while there are no snapshots visible when looking at snapshots of the target vm, there are snapshots if you look at the diskpath and the vmdk files. I was able to remove the stuck disk from the proxy by editing the proxies settings, and was then able to successfully consolidate the vm. For us the problem doesn’t happen often, my biggest issue is that while Veeam recognizes the target vm “has stuck VM snapshot”, it is listed as a success or info item in the log and there does not seem to be a way to monitor for these issues, no alarms in Veeam ONE or the VSPC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have been running into this issue with Linux proxies and have found that while there are no snapshots visible when looking at snapshots of the target vm, there are snapshots if you look at the diskpath and the vmdk files. I was able to remove the stuck disk from the proxy by editing the proxies settings, and was then able to successfully consolidate the vm. For us the problem doesn’t happen often, my biggest issue is that while Veeam recognizes the target vm “has stuck VM snapshot”, it is listed as a success or info item in the log and there does not seem to be a way to monitor for these issues, no alarms in Veeam ONE or the VSPC.

Be sure with Linux Proxies to disable multipathing as that is the recommended setting from Veeam.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey guys,
I have the same random problem with my Proxies (Windows), VMDK are still attached to my proxies randomly once the job finish. 
The proxies are not backuped during the different backup jobs. 

The Vms that Veeam processed is found to require consolidation.

On the vmware side I found a log " Unable to access file since it is locked An error occurred while consolidating disks: Failed to lock the file. Consolidation failed for disk node 'scsi0:0': Failed to lock the file." at the end of the backup job.

But I don’t find the root cause. Have any of you ever encountered this problem?

I used to encounter this problem very often.

- Option 1 may be due to insufficient resources on your Veeam server or proxies. You can increase resources.

- As for option 2, I experienced this problem on 4 proxy servers at the same time. The problem was caused by the transport service. Even if I upgraded or deleted it and reinstalled it, it did not solve it. I set up a new server and selected it as proxy again and it worked.

Comment