Solved

Start Backup when USB drive is inserted

Userlevel 4

Hi, I vaguely recall seeing an option where a backup job is automatically started when a USB drive containing a backup repository is plugged into the server.  I can’t seem to find it again…was I dreaming?

Thanks, Hammer

icon

Best answer by HangTen416 1 December 2023, 04:46

View original

15 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I am not aware of any option like that for Veeam. The agent will run a backup of you use a USB as the destination and it gets plugged in during a scheduled backup but that is the only thing I recall.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

In the scheduling section, you can set events that trigger a backup. Set the destination with the USB plugged in. Then set the event. You can then remove the USB stick and the next time it's plugged in, the job will run.

• Select the When backup target is connected check box if you want to start the scheduled backup job when the backup storage becomes available. With this option selected, Veeam Agent will detect state changes for networks and drives. When such change is detected, Veeam Agent will check if the target backup repository is accessible. If so, it will start the backup job.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

In the scheduling section, you can set events that trigger a backup. Set the destination with the USB plugged in. Then set the event. You can then remove the USB stick and the next time it's plugged in, the job will run.

• Select the When backup target is connected check box if you want to start the scheduled backup job when the backup storage becomes available. With this option selected, Veeam Agent will detect state changes for networks and drives. When such change is detected, Veeam Agent will check if the target backup repository is accessible. If so, it will start the backup job.

Very cool. A feature there I did not realize was. 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi All!
That´s correct @HangTen416 , thanks for the info!

Im working on this idea, of automatically (with the backup task) to connect and disconnect the USB, so is always there, but it stays “Airgapped” after using it, in case of attack, is not presented to the S.O. but Veeam is able to call it and mount it to write the backup, following the entry

Let’s see if I can get it to work and post it for all of us.

cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Exactly. And, in case of Veeam Agent, this is the option to flag.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Exactly. And, in case of Veeam Agent, this is the option to flag.

Thanks for sharing this screenshot.  Just don’t like the scheduling when you select this option as it runs more often than just a daily schedule, but to each their own.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Chris.Childerhose Please elaborate.

It seems to me that this method has it’s advantages and disadvantages. Obviously, backup becomes a manual process of plugging in a USB drive but that also gives the advantage of an easy and cheap air gapped backup solution. The manual part could be done daily (but not scheduled by the software) or more often if more frequent backups are needed.

I wonder how it would work with a product like what @HunterLAFR outlines in his post. The presentation of the target to various physical workstations could be scheduled daily and the USB drives could be rotated. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Chris.Childerhose Please elaborate.

It seems to me that this method has it’s advantages and disadvantages. Obviously, backup becomes a manual process of plugging in a USB drive but that also gives the advantage of an easy and cheap air gapped backup solution. The manual part could be done daily (but not scheduled by the software) or more often if more frequent backups are needed.

I wonder how it would work with a product like what @HunterLAFR outlines in his post. The presentation of the target to various physical workstations could be scheduled daily and the USB drives could be rotated. 

I was just thinking if you did not check the eject option that backups would run more frequently that is all.  Never used the option myself so not sure if that is the case on how it works as I have mine scheduled daily.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I did not know this was an option.  I was thinking I know that Dropbox offers every time I plug in or reformat a USB drive, but had no idea Veeam had any sort of triggers like this.  Seems very niche, but helpful nonetheless.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Hammer -

I just wanted to follow up on your post and see if any of the provided comments gave you the answer you were looking for? If so, we ask you please mark which comment best helped you as ‘Best Answer’ so those who come across your post with a similar question can benefit.

If you still have further questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

Userlevel 1

I set up _all_ of my home customers like this. I tell them to plug it in and then unplug it about an hour later once per week.

Be aware that if you reboot the machine to which it’s connected, you have just lost your air gap.

I don’t have this Option in the Schedule Section:

Am I missing something?
Backup Type is “Windows Agent Backup” at Volume level backup mode...

Userlevel 1

Hmmm, that looks different from mine. I’m working directly in Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows v6.1.0.349 -- Free Edition.

I see you’re choosing Backup Type “Windows Agent Backup” and you’re able to configure additional settings for multiple computers. Are you configuring an Agent backup from the Veeam B&R console? If that’s the case, maybe the option isn’t available. Or maybe you could further configure it at each workstation once you’ve got it pushed out.

Is your job configured to back up to a USB drive?

Yes, I’m on B&R 12 12.0.0.1420
And yes, it backs up to USB. Maybe it simply is not available...

Userlevel 1

Yes, I’m on B&R 12 12.0.0.1420
And yes, it backs up to USB. Maybe it simply is not available...

Interesting. I would check at the endpoint after it is installed and configured. I’ve never controlled an Agent with VB&R, so I don’t know what you’ll find. Good luck!

Comment