Solved

`SQL Server is not available` during Backup

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hello,

We’re trying to make a backup on a server using Agent but we’re facing this error message.

icon

Best answer by regnor 21 November 2022, 15:16

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Seems like the Veeam configuration database isn't available while the job is running. Is the SQL server hosting that database?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Seems like the Veeam configuration database isn't available while the job is running. Is the SQL server hosting that database?

Hello,

Veeam is using SQL express and i checked the SQL service and seems to be running fine. Shall I restart the server ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Is only this job having this problem? And if so, is it a managed by agent or managed by server job?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you can open a new console and sign into VBR, the DB itself is fine, in which case, at a guess I’d think the localDB deployed by the agent has issues. I’d start by reading the logs from the agent and see what errors are being reported.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Along with the logs I would check what apps using SQL have their database on this server.  Maybe they are preventing the backup possibly and you could stop them for the backup.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Is only this job having this problem? And if so, is it a managed by agent or managed by server job?

I tried with both but the same error

Userlevel 5
Badge

Along with the logs I would check what apps using SQL have their database on this server.  Maybe they are preventing the backup possibly and you could stop them for the backup.

Server is only running Veeam

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Server is only running Veeam

Did you check the VSS writers in windows?  Maybe they are causing issues - vssadmin list writers.  If any are in error restart the associated service or restart the server if needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

The ERRRORLOG file in Program Files will be helpful.

Its possible it could be resource constraints.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I tried with both but the same error

Ok. If it was a managed by agent job, I also would have thought that it’s the LocalDB, like @MicoolPaul suggested, if not, then the error could be related to the Veeam configuration DB itself.

I would suggest that you check the event log on both the SQL server and the backup server. Next would be the Veeam logs under %PROGRAMDATA%. Perhaps you’ll find some hints there and if not, contact Veeam support and let them check this setup.

Comment