Solved

Some issues with Veeam ONE Data Collection

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi

My setup is as follows : 
- 1 server (in a workgroup) with Veeam ONE (service account of service is a standalone user, member of Veeam ONE Administrators group and local administrators group)
- 1 server (also in a workgroup) with VBR
- several domain-joined Hyper-V servers

Problem is situated in Veeam ONE : 
Adding the hyper-v servers with a domain-user (with of course local administrator group) is no problem.
Adding the VBR server with a local administrator account is no problem.
Adding Veeam ONE Agent on the VBR server is no problem.

Problems : 

- in Infrastructure View : I am getting the error of bad hyper-v username logon attempt (refers to the user being used as service account on the server with Veeam ONE
the info of the Hyper-v server seems to be correct including the CPU graphs and so..

Is there a way that another user can be chosen to collect the data instead of the Veeam ONE service account?

- in Data Protection View : VBR server is not responding and getting the alarm : Server connection failure
Status of Veeam ONE Agent : success last signatures update, but agent status : not installed.... ???

- in Veeam ONE Reporter Data Collection : 
VBR server is successful
All Hyper-v servers are in warning status

What can be done?
Is it impossible to use Veeam ONE in a workgroup while the VBR is also in the workgroup and the hyper-V servers are domain-joined?

already tried to turn off Windows Firewall, turn off AV, turn off UAC
Also tried to use other notation for the VBRserver

regards

Nico

icon

Best answer by vNote42 28 July 2021, 09:54

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Are you using v10 or v11? Just wondering as the issue in the Data Protect View I was seeing with v10 and it was fixed in v11 after upgrade.  I have v11 at the office and can check things out to help.

I think you can use different connection settings to servers for data collection - when you right-click an entity in the tree there is a Connection Settings option as it will use the default credentials that are used when adding the server to VONE or you can specify different.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thx for reply @Chris.Childerhose.

Sorry, forgot to mention, version 11 latest build.

For all hyper-v servers domain joined credentials are setup with the necessary permissions (local admin). That is working perfectly. It gathers the info from the hyper-v server.

But gattering data collection is additional (for performance info and so) and it seems to be that this is using the Veeam ONE service account (which is of course a local user on the VEEAM ONE server) that is not known on the hyper-v server.

I even tried to create the same local user on the domain joined hyper-v server, but that doesn’t help...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thx for reply @Chris.Childerhose.

Sorry, forgot to mention, version 11 latest build.

For all hyper-v servers domain joined credentials are setup with the necessary permissions (local admin). That is working perfectly. It gathers the info from the hyper-v server.

But gattering data collection is additional (for performance info and so) and it seems to be that this is using the Veeam ONE service account (which is of course a local user on the VEEAM ONE server) that is not known on the hyper-v server.

I even tried to create the same local user on the domain joined hyper-v server, but that doesn’t help...

I got you.  My VONE v11 server is in a WG and my VBK server in on my home domain for my lab and seems to work but I am using vSphere not Hyper-V.  I will try to spin up a Hyper-V server and see if I can replicate the scenario as well to see if we can figure it out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Chris.Childerhose , I have done this already in the past for vSphere and that’s working great at that way, but it seems to be different on Hyper-V :thinking: .

Thx for helping, I can’t find it at first sight...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Chris.Childerhose , I have done this already in the past for vSphere and that’s working great at that way, but it seems to be different on Hyper-V :thinking: .

Thx for helping, I can’t find it at first sight...

If you happen to have the warning message and can post it here please do or just DM me otherwise.  Maybe something in the wording will give us a clue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Chris.Childerhose , the messages : 

Bad Hyper-V username logon attempt at hyper-v server : 

Veeam Backup & Replication Server connection failure at VBR server : 

In the Event logs of Veeam Reporte Data Collection : 

Strange, strange, I can’t see anything wrong, but gives for all Hyper-v the status of a warning …

ah just found something over here : warning will probably meaning that it is not possible to retrieve an empty storage controller list

It has to do something with WMI referring : [UPDATE 4] Top issues tracker - Veeam R&D Forums

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Did you try to check WMI connection with wbemtest.exe? To be honest, I did not do this myself, it was a task from support for the customer:

- Open the wbemtest.exe utility on the Veeam ONE server machine.
- Click the "Connect" button and specify the following namespace (replace "hostname" with the hostname of the affected server):
\\hostname\root\veeambs

- At the "Credentials" sections please specify the account which is used to connect to the backup server in Veeam ONE Client. But if this is a local connection, there is no need to specify the credentials.
- Then, click "Connect". 
- If no error, please click "Query" and run the following one:
select * from BackupServer

You may get more information when trying this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thx @vNote42 for your additional note. I did not yet tested the WMI connection. I will do that and keep you informed. Thx a lot!

Comment