Question

Solutions for HA Enterprise Manager?

Posted in the forums here - so if there isn’t currently a way to have active/active, active/standby etc configuration for EM, what have folks been doing for distributed deployments? The primary goal here is to have a DR site come online as quickly as possible and for EM to have the highest availability one can offer.

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

EM does not support that type of HA currently and would need to be put in as a suggestion.  The only other way would be to follow this post - [GUIDE] How to migrate VBR 12 Enterprise Manager | Veeam Community Resource Hub

You can export the private keys and then install it on a new system pointing to the DB that exists for the downed EM, etc.

Another way would be with something like VMware SRM maybe to keep a standby copy in the DR site?

You can export the private keys and then install it on a new system pointing to the DB that exists for the downed EM, etc.

Another way would be with something like VMware SRM maybe to keep a standby copy in the DR site?

We’re absolutely considering the latter approach - building a new system in a DR scenario is not on the list of options for us for reasons which I’m sure you understand.

What I’m mostly looking for is accounts of people who’ve actually done this, what they chose and why, and what their experiences were.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have not done it personally so cannot speak to it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, whilst Enterprise Manager doesn’t support HA, you can leverage HA database options to tolerate node/site loss and replicate your Enterprise Manager installation to achieve a low RTO for the application without data loss, I’ve done this for VBR when offering a VCC solution, but not for EM

Hi, whilst Enterprise Manager doesn’t support HA, you can leverage HA database options to tolerate node/site loss and replicate your Enterprise Manager installation to achieve a low RTO for the application without data loss, I’ve done this for VBR when offering a VCC solution, but not for EM

So in other words replicate the database and have a standby EM instance ready to go if needed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

At present, yes 🙂 but using database native replication to make it synchronous writes to the database

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @mike.ely ,

when discussing about DR, the common practice is to put the VBR on the secondary site..if you have this configuration, maybe it may be convenient to keep VBEM on the DR site as well, and still do a CDP replication or log shipping to the primary site..may be a good idea?

Comment