Solved

SOBR and XFS - Placement Policy

• 7 September 2021
  • 4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Quick question to the community -

We are troubleshooting some Linux XFS SOBR issues.  I know for ReFS you need to use the Data Locality policy for the Fast Cloning and wondered would the same apply to XFS?

I would think that it does but on the off chance I can change it to the Performance policy it might help us get over the hump for our issues and then I can swap it back. :smiley:

These repos are NOT immutable at the moment either.

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 7 September 2021, 17:43

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I think this statement answers my own question -

• Fast Clone requires that source and destination files are stored on the same ReFS volume. If you add a backup repository with Fast Clone support as an extent to a scale-out backup repository, make sure that you enable the Data Locality placement policy for this scale-out backup repository. If backup files are stored on different extents, Fast Clone will not be used.

This from here - Fast Clone - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Under the Limitations section.  But I figured it could be different with XFS Linux possibly. :smiley:

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

It’s the same for ReFS and XFS Chris, block cloning only works in file system boundaries.

So Data Locality is still the way to go, otherwise you won’t see Fast Clone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I would have it configured this way - with data locality. But I am not absolutely sure as we don’t have XFS SOBR...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It’s the same for ReFS and XFS Chris, block cloning only works in file system boundaries.

So Data Locality is still the way to go, otherwise you won’t see Fast Clone.

Yeah that was my thought but wanted to confirm.  Thanks

Veeam needs to update that line on the page to include XFS as well. :smiley:

Comment