Skip to main content

Hi, I’m running Veeam B&R CE on my home server and plan to upgrade from Server 2022 to 2025 when that come out.  I would like to do a clean install of 2025 and was wondering if there’s a way to backup my install of Veeam so I can reinstall it on my upgrader Server 2025 (eg., the configurations, databases etc.  The backup repositories are on separate disks and so will be directly accessible).

Thank you

Hi @Hammer,

it‘s really simple, in short: just do a regular configuration backup (with encrypted passwords) and on the new system a restore of it. 

see more details: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/vbr_config.html?ver=120

let us know, if you need more help 😊

best, Markus

Follow what Markus said with the configuration backup as that is the way to move your server. 😎

Hi @Hammer -

Just follow what others have said; just be aware of when Veeam actually supports 2025. Keep tabs on the Sys Req’s section of VB&R to keep up when it’s supported:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/system_requirements.html?ver=120#backup-server

I’m sure the ‘What’s New’ or at least the ‘Release Notes’ of the next (or subsequent?) VB&R version will have it there as well.

Best.

Hi @Hammer, I have two different use cases discussed here. One for MSSQL and PostgreSQL

If you run into issues, please let me know.

Oh...this is a good point!  Are you currently using PostgreSQL or MSSQL?  Because Veeam will default to install Postgres on the new server and if you want to do a migration from MSSQL to Postgres, both need to be on the exact same build.  Not usually an issue as if they don’t match, you just need to upgrade the old server to the latest before exporting the configuration database and then importing on the new server running the same build.

Great write up. I ended up having a rescan of my tapes last upgrade which took days!!! Just be aware that sometimes these things happen. 

Oh...this is a good point!  Are you currently using PostgreSQL or MSSQL?  Because Veeam will default to install Postgres on the new server and if you want to do a migration from MSSQL to Postgres, both need to be on the exact same build.  Not usually an issue as if they don’t match, you just need to upgrade the old server to the latest before exporting the configuration database and then importing on the new server running the same build.

I’m running PostgreSQL so hopefully will be fine.  Thanks you everyone for the tips!

Comment