Rollbacks error, no option available in GUI to enable or disable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yesterday I came across an interesting bug using version 12.1.1.56

I have been creating plenty of jobs and test jobs to Wasabi without issue for quite a while.

For some reason, one of the jobs I created gave me an error. 

I thought this was odd as I had not enabled rollbacks, and there isn’t even a setting to adjust the setting for transform previous chains into rollbacks on Object Storage jobs.

Following KB4390 https://www.veeam.com/kb4390 There are 2 easy PowerShell commands to fix this issue. 

The first command will find all jobs using the Transform previous backup chains into rollbacks option.

Get-VBRJob | where {$_.BackupTargetOptions.TransformIncrementsToSyntethic -eq $True}

It found the job in question, along with one of my snpashot jobs that had it enabled as well. Once again, slightly odd as it doesn’t use this feature.

There are 2 ways you can resolve this using powershell depending on if you want to use Forever Forward, or Synthetic Full jobs.

Disable Transform previous backup chains into rollbacks and Use Synthetic Full Retention

$jobs = Get-VBRJob | where {$_.BackupTargetOptions.TransformIncrementsToSyntethic -eq $True}
foreach ($job in $jobs) {
Set-VBRJobAdvancedBackupOptions -Job $job -TransformIncrementsToSyntethic: $False

Disable Transform previous backup chains into rollbacks and Switch to Forever Forward Incremental

$jobs = Get-VBRJob | where {$_.BackupTargetOptions.TransformIncrementsToSyntethic -eq $True}
foreach ($job in $jobs) {
Set-VBRJobAdvancedBackupOptions -Job $job -TransformIncrementsToSyntethic $False -TransformFullToSyntethic $False

I tested after and my new test job was working 100%. 

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That was interesting to see that error as that option is deprecated now.  Great to see the scripts you did as well (saving them to my library 😁).  Thanks for sharing, Scott.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

That was interesting to see that error as that option is deprecated now.  Great to see the scripts you did as well (saving them to my library 😁).  Thanks for sharing, Scott.

I copied the scripts from the KB, but it was weird that only 2 jobs out of the large amount I have created were configured this way. Even more odd that it was only on 1 out of many storage snapshot jobs I run. 

On a storage snapshot it makes zero sense. 

My concern would be once this feature is totally removed in a future version, the potential of an issue during an upgrade. I’d hope not, but I still like to keep things clean.  I’ll run this before a future upgrade just to double check there are no ghosts in the system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Interesting issue Scott. Glad you were able to resolve it...and thanks for sharing!

Comment