Question

Restore from AWS EC2 to vsphere on premise via VPN

• 20 September 2022
  • 4 comments

Userlevel 2

According to this KB https://www.veeam.com/kb4264 I successfully configured restore to AWS EC2 via endpoints and VPN. So I can restore VM from vsphere to EC2 via VPN.

And now I have question :)

Is it possible to make restore from EC2 to on premise via VPN, not thounght Internet?

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Sinoptik,

I’ll be transparent here I haven’t tried this myself, but as nobody else has replied yet, I thought I’d try to provide some insights on what I am aware of.

As of Veeam Backup for AWS v4, it was announced as a feature that you can restore Amazon EC2 instances without public IP addresses, in essence, that private IP addressing can be used for backup & restoration tasks, I’ve been playing about with this a fair bit in Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure.

You’d be initiating your restore request from VBR, so provided that you push your request via the VPN, there’s no reason I am aware of that would prevent VBfAWS from responding over that same connection.

Please do let us know how you get on and if any of the above I’ve said is wrong. I can’t see any technical reason why it wouldn’t be able to communicate privately over the VPN however.

Restore to Amazon EC2
In this article
Veeam Backup & Replication allows you to restore different workloads (VMs, Google VM instances, physical servers and so on) to Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) as EC2 instances. An EC2 instance is a virtual machine in Amazon EC2 with a preconfigured combination of computing resources.

You can use Veeam Backup & Replication to perform the following operations:

Restore workloads to Amazon EC2 from backups.
Migrate workloads from the on-premises infrastructure to the cloud.
Create a test environment in the cloud for troubleshooting, testing patches and updates, and so on.
Supported Backup Types

You can restore workloads from the following types of backups:

Backups of VMware vSphere or VMware vCloud Director virtual machines created by Veeam Backup & Replication.
Backups of Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machines created by Veeam Backup & Replication.
Backups of virtual and physical machines created by Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows or Veeam Agent for Linux.
Backups must be created at the entire machine level or volume level.

Backups of Amazon EC2 instances created by Veeam Backup for AWS.
Backups of Microsoft Azure virtual machines created by Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure.
Backups of Google Compute Engine VM instances created by Veeam Backup for Google Cloud.
Backups of Nutanix AHV virtual machines created by Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV.
[Starting from Veeam Backup & Replication 11a (build 11.0.1.1261)] Backups of RHV VMs created by Veeam Backup for RHV.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

Userlevel 2

Restore to Amazon EC2
In this article
Veeam Backup & Replication allows you to restore different workloads (VMs, Google VM instances, physical servers and so on) to Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) as EC2 instances. An EC2 instance is a virtual machine in Amazon EC2 with a preconfigured combination of computing resources.

You can use Veeam Backup & Replication to perform the following operations:

Restore workloads to Amazon EC2 from backups.
Migrate workloads from the on-premises infrastructure to the cloud.
Create a test environment in the cloud for troubleshooting, testing patches and updates, and so on.
Supported Backup Types

You can restore workloads from the following types of backups:

Backups of VMware vSphere or VMware vCloud Director virtual machines created by Veeam Backup & Replication.
Backups of Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machines created by Veeam Backup & Replication.
Backups of virtual and physical machines created by Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows or Veeam Agent for Linux.
Backups must be created at the entire machine level or volume level.

Backups of Amazon EC2 instances created by Veeam Backup for AWS.
Backups of Microsoft Azure virtual machines created by Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure.
Backups of Google Compute Engine VM instances created by Veeam Backup for Google Cloud.
Backups of Nutanix AHV virtual machines created by Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV.
[Starting from Veeam Backup & Replication 11a (build 11.0.1.1261)] Backups of RHV VMs created by Veeam Backup for RHV.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

Sorry, but it is not helpful. I use private link (endpoints) not via internet

Userlevel 2

More ditails.

Yesturday I created endpoint to ec2 and endpoint to s3. I started restore from on premise veeam to ec2 and for restore veeam used VPN. I was very happy. But today I disable internet and it is not work. It is look like before sent trasffic to EC2/S3 via VPN veeam makes connections to aws via Internet and after that send traffic via VPN to endpoint.

And this contradicts article KB4264: This restore configuration also works when the Veeam Backup server has restricted or no public internet access.

Has anyone had a successful attempt to set up veeam on premise to restore AWS without access to the Internet (only VPN)?

Regarding restoration VM from EC2 to on premise.

Again, to restore, you need to select a backup from the basket and perform an instant recovery. And it doesn't work without the Internet.

Comment