Request: Enable Veeam vSphere Plugin without Veeam Enterprise Manager

• 19 December 2020
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

A feature I think would be great is to enable the Veeam vSphere plugin without requiring Enterprise Manager. Now we are on HTML5 people are looking for the “single pane of glass” experience. It would be great to see Veeam Protection information polled straight from Veeam B&R.

Currently the enterprise manager requirement can put extra burden on infrastructures using default SQL Express for example.

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I think deploying Enterprise Manager (VBEM) in a separate server using SQL Express is not too big a deal, it does not appear SQL Express is causing issues for VBEM in general. I get the point it would be nice to simplify, but the resources perspective does not seem like the best “story” to get there imho.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I think deploying Enterprise Manager (VBEM) in a separate server using SQL Express is not too big a deal, it does not appear SQL Express is causing issues for VBEM in general. I get the point it would be nice to simplify, but the resources perspective does not seem like the best “story” to get there imho.

At present it means an additional Windows license which I see deters people away, it’s also more expensive when people like their backup infrastructure existing as separate physical devices to mitigate reliance on their virtual platform responding.

In summary it’d be nice to see plug-in functionality unlocked based on the Veeam components deployed. So Veeam B&R would give you the core backup information, Veeam One would give you advanced insights into the infrastructure and then Veeam EM would supply the rest. I know I’m heavily into wish list territory now but since it’s a feature request, might as well aim high!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Do you often see end customers paying per Windows license? In my experience, almost everyone unless very small, purchase data center licenses and so having another VM makes no difference from a licensing perspective.

If it is about combining roles, could just install a second SQL Express instance on the same box :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Do you often see end customers paying per Windows license? In my experience, almost everyone unless very small, purchase data center licenses and so having another VM makes no difference from a licensing perspective.

If it is about combining roles, could just install a second SQL Express instance on the same box :)

I actually see most of the SMB space still on Windows Server Standard edition, which is actually the audience I’m targeting this request at, as they’re the ones that would like a single pane of glass experience without throwing in VBEM as the majority of the features will go unused by them. As they’re also starting to embrace more of the cloud they require less on-prem VMs that then skew the cost/benefit for DC licensing.

I appreciate the insights. My SQL Server background always says no to multiple SQL instances due to the nature of the software and it’s demand for resource. Granted there are some scenarios whereby you can quite safely configure instances to not cannibalise each other on the same box/VM, I just avoid this.

Ultimately it just feels that VBEM is unnecessary for VBR & vCenter integration. I don’t mean that from a technical perspective but just from a usability standpoint.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I personally do not deploy Enterprise Manger very often. Just when their is a need for one of its features (self service restore, lost password protection).

So on the one hand it would be nice to have vCenter Plugin working with VBR Server directly. 

But on the other hand: I personally do not like vCenter Plugins. I have seen many vCenter that were near unusable because of failed or not working Plugins. I don’t want to say Veeam Plugin will cause problems! But to operate a vCenter Plugin you need to take more into account: for example compatibility. 

And then I have to ask: is it worth it? For large installation such a Plugin most often is not very interesting (scalability, compatibility). They often use other monitoring software that is able to report backup as well (for example VeeamONE of course). And for SMB the most important information (IMHO) will be if (and when) backups run were successful or not. And this can be easily done be letting VBR add notes to each backed VM:

Long story short: I would not see much benefit.

Further question: How many of you do install vCenter Plugin respectively Enterprise Manager because of the Plugin?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I personally do not deploy Enterprise Manger very often. Just when their is a need for one of its features (self service restore, lost password protection).

So on the one hand it would be nice to have vCenter Plugin working with VBR Server directly. 

But on the other hand: I personally do not like vCenter Plugins. I have seen many vCenter that were near unusable because of failed or not working Plugins. I don’t want to say Veeam Plugin will cause problems! But to operate a vCenter Plugin you need to take more into account: for example compatibility. 

And then I have to ask: is it worth it? For large installation such a Plugin most often is not very interesting (scalability, compatibility). They often use other monitoring software that is able to report backup as well (for example VeeamONE of course). And for SMB the most important information (IMHO) will be if (and when) backups run were successful or not. And this can be easily done be letting VBR add notes to each backed VM:

Long story short: I would not see much benefit.

Further question: How many of you do install vCenter Plugin respectively Enterprise Manager because of the Plugin?

Hi,

Thanks for your insight @vNote42 , I don’t see many use cases for most SME to have Enterprise Manager so unless their topology requires it, we don’t deploy it, I do inherit customers from other IT organizations that deploy VBEM every time, but often without explaining what it is to the customer so they’re not getting any added benefit from using it.

I think for my perspective we see others in the community requesting a HTML5 version of Veeam but I’d like to keep the console with the HTML5 management elements accessible from vSphere as a nice middle ground, completely see your perspective of Plugin performance issues though, it’s a good point.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Let’s not forget the upcoming V11 will have REST API for VBR, so you can extract the information you need and create your own HTML5 interface/dashboards

Comment