Replication job fails with "Cannot replicate disk because its capacity was reduced"

• 1 November 2021
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you are reducing your disks on your VMs be careful as it can cause an error with running Replication.  The following KB discusses this and includes a solution -

KB4232: Replication job fails with "Cannot replicate disk because its capacity was reduced" (veeam.com)

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Interesting issue. This did nor occur in my environments up to now, so good to know.

Thank you for sharing :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Interesting issue. This did nor occur in my environments up to now, so good to know.

Thank you for sharing :sunglasses:

No problem.  I can see this happening to users since disk space is always an issue. :smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Why reduce disks? Are sysadmin not getting enough of everyday problems?:joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Why reduce disks? Are sysadmin not getting enough of everyday problems?:joy:

Yeah they do. 😂. But data deletion may have someone want to reduce a disk.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

If you are reducing your disks on your VMs be careful as it can cause an error with running Replication.  The following KB discusses this and includes a solution -

KB4232: Replication job fails with "Cannot replicate disk because its capacity was reduced" (veeam.com)

Hi @Chris.Childerhose , is this on vSphere VMs? I thought it is not recommended to shrink virtual disks in vSphere...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Chris.Childerhose , is this on vSphere VMs? I thought it is not recommended to shrink virtual disks in vSphere...

Typically no you don't but this does pertain to vSphere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Good to know Chris, thanks for sharing!

… Veeam uses very interesting VM-names in their environments :joy:

Comment