ReFS vs NTFS (or other)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hey all. I haven’t yet pulled the plug as far as deploying ReFS on any of my Repos. Main reason initially was due to lack of stability I saw quite often in its early days. Other reason is I didn’t want to go through the hassle of creating a new Repo, then spending days migrating data here/there/everywhere. My NTFS has worked and done pretty well. The only fast clone storage I have implemented currently is with my Hardened Repo. Have had no issues there, but then again..XFS is a pretty mature FS 😊 .

Anyway, I just want to ping the Community yet again to hear of any ‘gotchas’ which may be out there which may lead me to being *against* implementing ReFS in my Veeam environment. I’m on the verge of getting some shiney new Nimble arrays in for my backup storage, so when I get it connected, it would be a prime opportunity for me to implement ReFS if it is indeed now stable. I think my only concern maybe with doing restores, and rehydration of data? Do restores take a bit longer to do? Any info you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

As always..thanks! 😊

29 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yeah..it appears (fingers crossed), ReFS is pretty stable now. Though..when I begin getting my new arrays installed & switching things over, I think I’ll just be looking at going with XFS. I might still go with W2022 & ReFS..but mostly leaning towards going with XFS.

@Scott - agree. Would still be interesting to hear any ReFS horror...or actually non-horror (good) stories folks have experienced with ReFS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yeah..it appears (fingers crossed), ReFS is pretty stable now. Though..when I begin getting my new arrays installed & switching things over, I think I’ll just be looking at going with XFS. I might still go with W2022 & ReFS..but mostly leaning towards going with XFS.

@Scott - agree. Would still be interesting to hear any ReFS horror...or actually non-horror (good) stories folks have experienced with ReFS.

We are definitely looking at XFS more now especially with the ISO for building the hardened repos.  That reminds me time to start testing and documenting things with this as we want to use it for our appliances, etc. 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yeah..I got mine initially installed; but just need to add it to a VBR server to do the testing part

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I’m sitting on over PB of ReFS and have no issues, the benefits outweigh everything when it comes to Veeam.  You just can’t slap ReFS everywhere in the environment and hope it will be a benefit though.

I may pull the trigger on XFS and hardened repos next upgrade, or stick to my windows infrastructure. I need time to test XFS before I go that route though. 

Comment