Skip to main content

Hi Guys, here is a good one.

We have one job, protecting VMs in 2 different VMWare Virtual Centres. Each VC has its own proxies.
VC1 is Netapp NFS datastores and we use Auto selection of transport mode (Direct Storage)
VC2 is Dell HCI with iscsi datastores so we can only use Hot Add.

The issue is that Veeam doesn’t appear intelligent enough to pick the right proxy for the VM. Its choosing an HCI proxy to protect a 3 tier VM and hence fails to NBD mode.
How does the Veeam Proxy selection work ? Surely it can work out the basics and choose a Proxy in the same VC/host as the target VM, and on the same or similar network and not a completely different one.

The issue is that if it can’t, we will need to split VMs into different jobs which is far from ideal.

Thanks

Phil

hi @Airless 

I think having a single job with VMs on two different vcenters is not the best possible choice… considering the different transport methods used in the proxies too. 

If you have two different repository you can set “proxy affinity” at repo level…. 

if you have just one repository… I think best way is to split the job. 

my 2 cents

Thanks Antonio. I will wait to see if I get any other replies but it seems that mixing VCs is not the right way to go.

So we split the VMs into jobs for their relevant Virtual Centre. This seems to work well. Thanks again Antonio.

So we split the VMs into jobs for their relevant Virtual Centre. This seems to work well. Thanks again Antonio.

no worries… as you know we aren’t an official support of Veeam but we use our experieces to help in this situations. 

I’m glad you’ve solved your issue

@Airless it’s more down to transport modes specified on the proxy, rather than the proxy itself

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/transport_modes.html?ver=120

If you use automatic mode selection, Veeam Backup & Replication will scan VMware backup proxy configuration and its connection to the VMware vSphere infrastructure to choose the optimal transport mode. If several transport modes are available for the same VMware backup proxy, Veeam Backup & Replication will choose the mode in the following order: Direct storage access > Virtual appliance > Network.

The selected transport mode is used for data retrieval. For writing data to the target, Veeam Backup & Replication picks the transport mode automatically, based on the configuration of the VMware backup proxy and transport mode limitations.

Thanks Cragdoo. What are the options for data writing ? I wasn’t aware there is a selection choice for that ?

Thanks

Phil

Thanks Cragdoo. What are the options for data writing ? I wasn’t aware there is a selection choice for that ?

Thanks

Phil

No choice for data writing, again those are dictated by the transport mode selected.

Makes sense - thanks.

Comment