Solved

Protect Configuration Database

Userlevel 3

I have a question as we are looking to make sure that our backup environment is as recoverable as possible in the event of the most extreme events.

We have our VBR server virtualized in HyperV.  We do a backup job for the configuration database.  We also have a replication task setup to replicate the VBR server to our DR location.

What we are looking at is that the location that the config database is backed up to is in the primary data center.  

What has anyone done to create a task to copy the config database offsite, like to SharePoint or OneDrive or something like that.

icon

Best answer by haslund 13 January 2022, 13:53

View original

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There is a feature request open for a long time to get a secondary location ootion for the configuration backup. But it is not realized up to now.

At the moment we copy the configuration backups with an script to a secondary location.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello @Dale Johnson, Kindly see the following link: https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-replication-f2/configuration-backup-copy-job-t34390.html 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, I think this is the thread I was talking about. Thank you for finding it so fast @Iams3le  😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yes, I think this is the thread I was talking about. Thank you for finding it so fast @Iams3le  😎

You are welcome

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Not the answer to the question you asked but something to think about:

Consider moving your Veeam B&R server to your DR site and then replicate it to production, will improve your RTO as you won’t be trying to recover your Veeam server before recovering workloads in a DR event, and if you have a problem with your DR site you can restore your Veeam server in your production site, much easier to focus on restoring the Veeam server when there’s not a Severity 1 down going on around you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I always recommend my customers: treat your configurator backup according to the 3-2-1(-1-0) rule. A very easy and simple - and not dirty - solution is to copy the configuration backup to a location that is backup by VBR anyway. This way you treat it like your production backup. Copy can be done by file-copy job within Veeam or a scheduled robocopy task for example.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

While having a configuration backup copy option would be nice, consider just storing the configuration backup to a off-site backup repository to begin with.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

While having a configuration backup copy option would be nice, consider just storing the configuration backup to a off-site backup repository to begin with.

All our Off-site backup repositories are in a SOBR. We have to add the repo a second time with another path to be able to backup to this repo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

All our Off-site backup repositories are in a SOBR. We have to add the repo a second time with another path to be able to backup to this repo.

I get that; however, that is like a 2 minute task so I would strongly recommend to just do it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I get that; however, that is like a 2 minute task so I would strongly recommend to just do it.

yes we do :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I have always practiced storing the configuration backup on encrypted offsite/cloud storage.  Then make sure you have two copies of your encryption key, one in secure electronic password database and 1 paper copy.   That key should rarely change, so a paper copy should last the life of the install. This is from a service provider perspective where you have multiple Veeam deployments being managed.  Follow 3-2-1 rule for your configuration backup as well….waiting on that feature to be added.

Comment