Problem restoring backups from multiple RDX tapes

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I see a interesting thread on Veeam Forum

https://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere-f24/case-05192176-problem-restoring-backups-from-multiple-rdx-tapes-t78398.html

where they’re trying to restore .vkb from RDX and got this error:

From your experience, what do you guys think it can be?

In my opinion, the RDX device was broken BEFORE the backup job, or it is a known bug due to the missing update KB4025334 and ReFS enabled on Windows Server 2016.

And above all, RDX in nearly 2022? What do you think?

Let’s flow this thread with our experience in cases like this one, and just leave real solutions on R&D Forums.

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ok, RDX tapes are removable hard disks or SSDs. Roughly 20 year old technology, but LTO is from 2000, too.

There seem to be new cartridges available,  but they are very expensive - something around 200€ for 2 TB… An LTO tape costs 25€….

To the error you have mentioned:

Seems to be a media fault. But you can try to read this cartridge with another machine or another drive to be sure...

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Ok, RDX tapes are removable hard disks or SSDs. Roughly 20 year old technology, but LTO is from 2000, too.

There seem to be new cartridges available,  but they are very expensive - something around 200€ for 2 TB… An LTO tape costs 25€….

To the error you have mentioned:

Seems to be a media fault. But you can try to read this cartridge with another machine or another drive to be sure...

I think same as you, another RDX maybe will do the trick!

But there’s too many RDX still used nowadays...

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Interesting selection of best answer :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I just pick last comment, hate leaving open threads. :sweat_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

It’s fixed, @marcofabbri @JMeixner :blush:  let me know if it’s better to convert this topic into discussion, more details on content types can be found here:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Yep, it was a discussion, not a question. Was my mistake :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks @Kseniya as always!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I’ve always used the HPE USB 3.0 device and the Tandberg Ethernet/iSCSI attached and have never had an issue.  I don’t see a resolution on the thread.  I’m not sure how it would be different than doing a “copy” job to any other storage device. RDX is just a spindle or SSD drive.  (RAID 1 RDX media, that sounds like a money maker.)

A couple of steps missing on the thread, and the resolution is not posted either.  (Most likely it was in fact a hardware issue and there was no recovery.  If you follow 3-2-1, you will have an alternate media to recover from.)

1. What happens when they try to rescan the backup file?
  2. Were there really no bangs in the backup indicating a CRC error? 

“As soon as a restore point is saved to the backup repository, Veeam Backup & Replication calculates CRC values for backup metadata and hash values for data blocks of a disk in the backup fil“e and saves these values in the metadata of the backup file, together with copied data.”

Always tick the option for media health check.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/backup_copy_health_check.html?ver=110

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi Stephen,
there were no more replies to this topic in this community. So we got no feedback to the suggestion to try another drive to read the volume to be sure it is not a hardware fault.

I don't know if the requester gave some feedback in the mentioned thread in Veeam forums.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Stephen,
there were no more replies to this topic in this community. So we got no feedback to the suggestion to try another drive to read the volume to be sure it is not a hardware fault.

I don't know if the requester gave some feedback in the mentioned thread in Veeam forums.

I was referring to the Veeam thread.  It seemed to have died with no more information available.  Unfortunately, there are too many Veeam users out there with not enough experience with the product to follow best practices,  Learning by failure is not the best way to improve your DR plan.

Comment