Solved

Physical to Virtual

Userlevel 2

Dear,

We have server 2008R2 and its physical now we are planning to migrate from physical to virtual in vmware host

so can veeam help us to convert physical to vmware either by converting or by back and restore.

Please advise

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 11 August 2022, 14:16

View original

14 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hello @YasarAltaf ,
please have a look at this thread if this helps you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello @YasarAltaf ,
please have a look at this thread if this helps you.

This is definitely the place to start ☝️

Userlevel 2

Thanks for reply, but instant recovery help for vmware as well right with server 2008R2, just need to confirm

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You have to make a Veeam agent backup of your physical Windows 2008R2 server.

This backup can be restored as a VMware vSphere VM.

Please be ware that your server has to be on Windows 2008 R2 SP1 or later.

Userlevel 2

appreciated and thanks for prompt reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This backup can be restored a  VMware vSphere VM.

@JMeixner is correct, the only thing I want to add is that you’d need VBR for the restoration, so I’d suggest getting VBR setup, deploy an agent backup job for your physical 2008R2 server, and then restore to vSphere (Helpcenter docs here:https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/agents/agents_restore_vsphere.html?ver=110)

You can use an Instant recovery to restore the agent backup to vSphere, no need to have to restore the entire VM prior to power on! Just don’t forget to install VMware Tools once restored, and of course finalise the recovery (Helpcenter doc here:https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/instant_recovery_review_vm.html?ver=110)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hello,

There is another tool from Vmware for P2V: VMware Converter.

Regards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Stabz, FYI it’s no longer available until VMWare release a new version: 

Was a great tool, but for now Veeam is the best option 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hello,

There is another tool from Vmware for P2V: VMware Converter.

Regards.

The VMware Converter it not available anymore…

Edit:

Ok, @MicoolPaul was faster 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Stabz, FYI it’s no longer available until VMWare release a new version: 

Hmm I thought we still could download it, I have the .exe on my laptop so I still used it ^^. But Veeam or other tools are great to perform P2V.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Stabz, FYI it’s no longer available until VMWare release a new version: 

Hmm I thought we still could download it, I have the .exe on my laptop so I still used it ^^. But Veeam or other tools are great to perform P2V.

Hold onto those binaries, and certainly take a backup of them!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

If someone need it, I could share it 😄

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Was just going to way, Converter is no longer supported.  But it is out there and works great.  StarWind makes a VM Converter as well but it’s not all that great.  And of course Veeam does a good job as well.  I still personally prefer the VMware Converter in most instances.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This backup can be restored a  VMware vSphere VM.

@JMeixneris correct, the only thing I want to add is that you’d need VBR for the restoration, so I’d suggest getting VBR setup, deploy an agent backup job for your physical 2008R2 server, and then restore to vSphere (Helpcenter docs here:https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/agents/agents_restore_vsphere.html?ver=110)

You can use an Instant recovery to restore the agent backup to vSphere, no need to have to restore the entire VM prior to power on! Just don’t forget to install VMware Tools once restored, and of course finalise the recovery (Helpcenter doc here:https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/instant_recovery_review_vm.html?ver=110)

+1… Unfortunately, you cannot mark two correct answers! By the way? I have missed a lot and can’t wait to get everything sorted out at my end! 

Comment