Solved

PC hibernates an extra time on the next logon after successful backup

Userlevel 1

Hello!

I’m using Veeam Agent for Windows 6.0.2.1090 (free edition) for my backups. I have it set to hibernate my PC after the backup is completed.

However, I find that even though the wake + backup + hibernation is successful, the next time I wake the PC after a backup, shortly afterwards, it hibernates without me doing anything. It happens even if I leave the PC on the login screen.

I’m on Windows 11 Home 22H2 and see Event ID 187 in the system logs when this happens:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" /> 
  <EventID>187</EventID> 
  <Version>0</Version> 
  <Level>4</Level> 
  <Task>243</Task> 
  <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x8000400000000404</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-12-16T19:31:19.2224598Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>6270</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="20708" ThreadID="19016" /> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Computer>PC1</Computer> 
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="ApiCallerNameLength">86</Data> 
  <Data Name="ApiCallerName">\Device\HarddiskVolume9\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.Manager.exe</Data> 
  <Data Name="SystemAction">3</Data> 
  <Data Name="LightestSystemState">2</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

I haven’t seen this in Windows 10, but noticed this happening consistently after I’ve done an in-place upgrade to Windows 11. I’m not sure if this is a coincidence. Removing and re-installing the agent did not change this behavior. Has anyone experienced this before?

icon

Best answer by StarfleetC 13 February 2024, 17:43

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This sounds more like a Windows issue rather than Veeam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

But..to test, have you tried disabling all Veeam services and see if the hibernation issue continues?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @StarfleetC, have you taken a look at the Power options in Windows 11? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have to agree this is Windows versus Veeam and I would check the suggested things noted above.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the replies! I did forget to leave out that once this happens, the issue doesn’t come up again until the next backup.

I was experimenting a bit. If I change the schedule to a few minutes in the future and hibernate it to attempt to reproduce the problem with no additional files needing to back up, the problem doesn’t happen again. So, it seems to occur when I have some data to back up. That does sound a bit odd, but I will need to test more to confirm.

@coolsport00 In services.msc, I see a single “Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows” - is that the one you want me to disable? Nothing else has “Veeam” in it. (I presume then run backups manually and see if the issue persists?)

@Iams3le  For my Windows power settings, my settings are set so that it never hibernate/sleep.

Right after the issue came up again, I saw the same event ID in my logs with Veeam.EndPoint.Manager.exe. It seems like that’s calling Windows to still hibernate after I turn on my PC (after that backup has run), which is why I was suspecting the agent.

If I recall in the past, I also saw Veeam attempting to hibernate if I log in fast enough (last couple of times, I turned on my PC, walked away for a couple of minutes before returning). I’ll see if there’s a prompt from the agent thinking that it didn’t hibernate yet when it already did.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @StarfleetC ..yep, that's it. 

Keep us posted on the test results. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @StarfleetC -

I’m just following up on your post here. Were able to resolve your hibernation issue? Did one of the provided comments help you out? If so, could you mark one as ‘Best Answer’ so those with a similar issue who come across your post may benefit?

Thank you.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for everyone's input. I've been watching my PC after each backup for the past several weeks, but wasn't able to reproduce it. Not sure if a Windows update fixed it or if it was something else since I didn't manually configure anything that would change the behavior.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @StarfleetC - thank you for the update. Well, if you did any of the suggestions shared and think they ‘may’ have helped, please select which one you think may have helped as ‘Best’. If nothing...and, as you shared, think maybe MS Updates coulda worked...you can even select your own post 😊

Thank you for providing an update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for everyone's input. I've been watching my PC after each backup for the past several weeks, but wasn't able to reproduce it. Not sure if a Windows update fixed it or if it was something else since I didn't manually configure anything that would change the behavior.

Great to hear it magically fixed itself. 😂

Comment