Question

Out of space on Immutable repo? chattr?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Folks,

I have someone who ran out of space on their Linux immutable repo, they are asking to remove immutability on the fs (chatter -i) as root. I am wondering what Veeam DB will think? and what other issues might arise. They seem to say they have done it before then just rescanned the repo?

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

remove the bit and then manually delete I should add. :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Never done this myself but will be interested to know what happens.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I had to do that once in my home lab

• maintenance mode on repo
  • chattr -i on the files
  • remove the full chain of backups
  • rescan repo
  • open recovery points of that job
  • delete the missing entries from the chain

!!!!! only do this if you cannot enlarge the disk or add an extend to the sobr. There is a big chance you could f something up and end up with nothing !!!!!

Also, I don’t think this is a supported method. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Never done this either, & though as @mkevenaar states, it seems it can be done. I'd be leary on attempting it myself....outside of a lab env. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

yup.. @mkevenaar he has only one repo so not a SOBR so no maintenance mode just jump and hope that the parachute opens.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

In that case I would stop the VBR services, if you can @Geoff Burke 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Also, I don’t think this is a supported method. 

I think there are only a few exceptions, like when guided by support, that manually removing files from a repo is supported.  Generally a bad idea unless this is the last possible option.  I’m curious about it as well though….in a lab….

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I can’t as I don’t have access. These folks asked about it but said they have done it before :) . I have no access to them so I can just say @mkevenaar said that…. :) :) Don’t worry you too far away for them to come get you😃

Comment