Solved

Option to rescan repositories has disappeared

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I have a server I am running VBR 11 on. The option to rescan repositories has just outright disappeared. I have tried closing and re-opening VBR, but this did not resolve the issue. A server reboot has also not resolved the issue.

icon

Best answer by Mildur 30 August 2021, 18:16

View original

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

First scenario:
Rotated disk repos? (Usb disk)

This Type cannot be rescanned.

Another scenario:

After converting in to a sobr, a backup repo needs to be rescanned on sobr level.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Repair install maybe which should fix it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

First scenario:

Another scenario:

After converting in to a sobr, a backup repo needs to be rescanned on sobr level.

They are. It’s very weird. I used to have the option to rescan them. I ran into an issue with them recently and I rescanned them, but the option just outright disappeared after that. For a while I had a repository showing as unavailable, but the rescan had worked and the backups started succeeding again, despite the repository showing as unavailable. It’s very strange.

I’m not totally sure if we are using sobr. I had to look it up and I don’t think we are, but I could be wrong. I am still learning Veeam as I go. I am hoping to get to take the certification course soon!

On this particular setup, I believe there are two drives sitting in a USB attached cradle, and the cradle is directly attached to the vmware host machine. They rotate out one of the drives on a weekly basis, but not the other.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I might give that a try this evening. That’s not a bad idea.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hopefully it works for you.  Let us know but never seen the rescan disappear. :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

First scenario:

Another scenario:

On this particular setup, I believe there are two drives sitting in a USB attached cradle, and the cradle is directly attached to the vmware host machine. They rotate out one of the drives on a weekly basis, but not the other.

If it‘s configured as a rotated disk, rescan will not work.

It’s a limitation. Could be the reason why it‘s greyed out.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/rotated_drives_configure.html?ver=110

Limitations:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/backup_repository_rotated.html?ver=110

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

First scenario:

Another scenario:

If it‘s configured as a rotated disk, rescan will not work.

It’s a limitation. Could be the reason why it‘s greyed out.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/rotated_drives_configure.html?ver=110

Limitations:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/backup_repository_rotated.html?ver=110

Oh. It’s just outright not there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hopefully it works for you.  Let us know but never seen the rescan disappear. :joy:

Yeah, will do. Thanks for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I have never seen this with V11…

So, the repair install would be my first try. 😎👍🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Team, I have an answer!

I am not 100% sure if this is something new with v.11, but if you have repositories that have the “Backed by rotated drives” option selected in your repository’s settings, you will no longer have a rescan option available for said repository(s). However, I believe you can do a makeshift rescan if you go to the properties of the repository and in the repository section, hit populate, and then hit finish. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Team, I have an answer!

I am not 100% sure if this is something new with v.11, but if you have repositories that have the “Backed by rotated drives” option selected in your repository’s settings, you will no longer have a rescan option available for said repository(s). However, I believe you can do a makeshift rescan if you go to the properties of the repository and in the repository section, hit populate, and then hit finish. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

That would make sense and was mentioned by @Mildur at the beginning about rotated drives.

Populating the space is not the same as rescanning the repo to import backups, etc. so it technically may not work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Team, I have an answer!

That would make sense and was mentioned by @Mildur at the beginning about rotated drives.

Populating the space is not the same as rescanning the repo to import backups, etc. so it technically may not work.

That’s a good point. I need to go back and check my emails. I had this come up in a support ticket and the support engineer mentioned a makeshift way to do it. When I find it I will add it to this topic and close it.

Thank you again, everyone, for your help! This is such a great community.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I found the email that contained the rescan work-around. Below is what support told me:

One way around this, access the properties of the repository > on the review tab > click the option to Search the repository for existing backs and import them automatically. This will start the rescan process. Sadly, these steps would need to be done each time you would need to rescan a repository that is backed by rotated drives. 

Comment