Question

Nutanix AVH plugin vs Agent?

• 23 September 2023
  • 2 comments

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I just recently installed Nutanix AVH for a client; they were previously on VMware (and backing up with Veeam).

I setup two backup jobs that use the Nutanix AVH plugin/appliance, but to be honest, I am not “happy” with it, and am wondering if it might be better to use the Windows/Linux agent to backup, but not sure what pros and cons are.

What I am not overly-happy with with the Nutanix AVH plugin are:

* Even though VMs are in the same job, backups get split per-VM, which I don’t think get any benefit from deduplication (though I think they benefit from compression still).  The agent-based backups seem to behave more like the VMware-based backups in  that the VMs in the same job get backed up to one file (named for the job), and benefit from deduplication (as well as compression)

* The “session report” is very light on details.  I had come to like the details provided by the “normal” session report I could see previously (and which I can get with the agent-based backups)

What I am not too sure about, if I were to use agent-based backups, is whether “Instant Restore” would still work?  From what i can see, it *should*, but wanted to see if I could get confirmation.

2 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you are talking windows agent it should and you need to create the bootable ISO file to do the recovery.

If you use VBR to manage the agent then instant restore will work also.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This may also help - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbahv/userguide/ir_launch_ahv.html?ver=40

Comment