Skip to main content
Solved

Netapp Volumes or Shares ?

I have an Netapp A900. Volumes have a lot of shares in them. Adding shares individually would be tedious. So the question is, can I add the entire volume to a NAS job and then Veeam will protect all shares within the volume ?

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Check here for setting up NAS shares - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/unstructured_data_backup.html?ver=120

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks I see that adding a volume is entirely possible. I should have read that first !! Thanks alot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi @Airless you absolutely can as Chris has said but depending on how many shares you’ve got it might not be wise. Your shares will all be backed up at the same frequency which might not be ideal, and if one of your shares is taking longer than normal to process, and this runs into your next backup window, the entire job is locked so the rest of the shares can’t be backed up until the original task finishes

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thats a great point @MicoolPaul so thanks for making me aware. Well its all at the planning stage so its up to me how to slice and dice it. Thanks again all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Thats a great point @MicoolPaul so thanks for making me aware. Well its all at the planning stage so its up to me how to slice and dice it. Thanks again all.

You’re welcome 🙂 in one of my previous deployments despite billions of files due to the NetApp integrations and overall platform performance, it was handling backups in 2-3 hours when targeting the entire SVM, but the metadata updates, despite being on a flash device, were taking up to 24 hours, this was on v11 so performance has improved in v12 anyway but it was still a bottleneck.
Splitting the shares out meant that I created them as a scheduled backup chain (this job is scheduled to run after that job completes) instead of all at once in a single job, and it meant there wasn’t resource contention on backup repo due to the sequential nature, but the metadata of one job wouldn’t impact the rest of the shares. I did create multiple chains so I had 5-6 shares per chain and about 4 chains, it reduced my blast radius for failures and the metadata was much smaller per job so much quicker to update

Userlevel 2
Badge

I like the idea of chaining the jobs. We have some shares with over 100m files in. You will want to hear that we are ripping out Commvault, which cannot handle this amount of files very easily and replacing with Veeam ! So the flexibility that Veeam offers over Commvault is great and I will take onboard your experience with the previous customer and look to chain the jobs. I do however want to stick to best practice with Veeam and not fiddle around with the resources and scheduling as Veeam will do a better job than I can.

Comment