Solved

MUTEX!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi folks,

Can someone explain to me “the programming dummy” this word mutex? Is it just a log shock and awe term, i.e. someone like Geoff sees something “mutex” in the logs and thinks back to Grade 10 Math and makes a quick retreat? 😁

Recently I have seen this word in different logs and wanted to double check with the pros before I press the terrifying search button on google. (I say that because I had a red mark on my face and thought I should google, it basically told me all the horrible things that it could be, until the unsponsored answer way at the bottom had a nothing to worry about explanation)!!

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 12 June 2023, 13:48

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Geoff Burke i did a little write up for another case a while ago, hope this helps!

Happy to elaborate further if needed 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi @Geoff Burke i did a little write up for another case a while ago, hope this helps!

Happy to elaborate further if needed 🙂

I knew there were some smart folks here :) I remember seeing that but will re-read. By the way my mutex has this: “PM Error    Failed to rescan service provider Error: Failed to wait mutex “

Failed to wait mutex. Perhaps the mutex was having a slow day or something and the bus left without him? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

So that’ll be some single-threaded code that has to complete before the next task, but instead it’s timed out based on failing to wait.

Makes sense as “I’ve tried to rescan, I can’t do anything with the data until I’ve got the scan complete, and I failed to wait because some timeout threshold or other such parameter was exceeded”

Surrounding data might provide further insights into the problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

That makes sense. The mutex in this case could just be.. “I timed out” but Veeam want it to sound sexy so they through in the mutex part. I mean not a bad idea, I can say to my boss, there was a problem with the Mutex and… the conversation will end quickly :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have you tried saying “sorry boss would love to look at this problem but we need the PayReviewMutex to complete first”?

Comment