Solved

license veeam socket base

• 12 October 2023
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
  • Comes here often
  • 35 comments

hi, I have veeam server with perpetual enterprise socket base on VM and I would like to migrate my veeam server from VM to bare metal, so can I still use my perpetual enterprise socket base ?

icon

Best answer by regnor 12 October 2023, 10:14

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Depends how many servers you have as sockets are capped at a maximum additional entitlement of 6 instances. Otherwise you can convert your socket licenses to instance based but you should conduct a review first to ensure you won’t be worse off! If in doubt speak to your partner/sales rep

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@MicoolPaul  I don’t want to convert my socket base license to instance

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

See section 1.4 on this link then: https://www.veeam.com/licensing-policy.html

effectively per socket you get one free instance license up to a maximum of 6.

if you need more but don’t want to swap socket to VUL. You could acquire separate VUL licenses for your bare metal servers and use a separate VBR install to manage the instance based workloads, using Veeam backup enterprise manage the licensing centrally

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The location of your VBR server doesn’t matter in terms of licensing; you only license the workloads you want to backup. So, if you only plan to move the Veeam services from a VM to a physical server, and plan to continue only backing up your virtual machines then no license change is necessary. (given that you still backup the same hosts you licensed via sockets)

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@regnor  any documentations or link that proved, The location of your VBR server doesn’t matter in terms of licensing especially perpetual enterprise socket base ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I would suggest that you take a look at the helpcenter and the licensing policy:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/licensing.html?ver=120#socket-licensing

With the socket licensing model, Veeam Backup & Replication is licensed by the number of CPU sockets on protected hosts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Ahh I completely misread I thought that said backing up bare metal instead of VMs! Ignore me @regnor is correct 🤦

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @dika -

I’m just following up on your licensing question here. Do you still have any questions? Were any of the provided comments helpful to you? If so, could select which comment best helped you as ‘Best Answer’ so others with a similar question who come across your post may benefit?

Thank you.

Comment