Question

Job aborted due to server termination

Userlevel 4

Hi

SQL servers encountered this error What could be the reason and how should I fix the problem?

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, that to me says that either the VBR server or the servers you were protecting were told to shutdown/reboot mid backup job, did a retry fix it?

Userlevel 4

We have about 100 backup jobs, but there is only a problem with 2 servers on which SQL is installed, and the rest of the jobs are working properly.
Now I will check to see if the server has been rebooted or not

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks, let us know. Depending on your patching policy it might make sense as yesterday was the day after patch Tuesday so automatic updating could’ve done this 

Userlevel 4
I saw this error in sql server Event Viewer

BackupDiskFile::CreateMedia: Backup device 'C:\NTW_Backup\Terlo_1.bak' failed to create. Operating system error 3 (The system cannot find the path specified.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

BackupDiskFile::CreateMedia: Backup device 'C:\NTW_Backup\Terlo_1.bak' failed to create. Operating system error 3 (The system cannot find the path specified.)

That to me looks like a native SQL Server Backup rather than a Veeam Backup. Does SQL Server have access to that location with the correct permissions?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

If it's just those 2 servers I’d say they were rebooted for updates or something like that.

Have you checked the server uptime?

Userlevel 4

If it's just those 2 servers I’d say they were rebooted for updates or something like that.

Yesterday, an update was made available for the servers, but the updates have not been installed

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Yesterday, an update was made available for the servers, but the updates have not been installed

I’d have a look at the event logs during the time it occurred. Did your proxy servers reboot?

Userlevel 4

I’d have a look at the event logs during the time it occurred. Did your proxy servers reboot?

The problem is not with veeam because the other jobs are working correctly and the problem is with some sql servers. If I find the solution, I will share it here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yeah...you’re right Jenes..this is a SQL and not Veeam issue. Simply, it appears SQL Backup task isn’t able to see the path/location/directory to which the SQL backup job creates the .bak file. This could be either due to the directory is not visible to the OS and/or task, permissions to the directory are not sufficient, or possibly the directory is full/has no free space left.

Keep us posted what you find out.

Best!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You can right-click those two jobs and select Retry. If they are successful, it might be a network or server disconnect issue with VBR at that moment.

Userlevel 4
for Info: I restarted the servers and the problem was solved, I didn't understand where the problem was.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
for Info: I restarted the servers and the problem was solved, I didn't understand where the problem was.

I reckon it may have been your SQLServer service carrying out the backup or RPC failing which was cleared after the reboot, 

Comment