Solved

Is WAN accelerators only useful for backing up VMs and OS's ?

• 13 January 2024
  • 9 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge
  • Comes here often
  • 21 comments

I’ve been reading examples of backing up VMs and OS where the Veeam WAN accelerators are beneficial. But what about agent based backups of SQL server, Files, Exchange etc. Does it offer any benefit when used to send such backup data to offsite ?

icon

Best answer by Arin 14 January 2024, 09:14

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

WAN accelerators only work with VBR and not so much agents.  They do not benefit them as much as VM backups and OSs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

WAN Accelerators are only for Copy and Replication jobs as noted in the User Guide

Userlevel 5
Badge

It looks like it does offer some benefit. I am seeing a 50% reduction of data size transferred to offsite copy on a job that contains non OS/VM data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

For a Copy job? WAN Accelerators do offer benefit for such jobs over low WAN speed networks. Proxies offer benefit over high-speed WAN networks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

As was stated, they won’t work with agents. You need to have them on both ends of the connection. I honestly never got much use out of them. In fact I saw them more as a WAN cache which had value when Telco’s were charging for the amount of data being transferred but did not see performance increases. There is the new High Bandwidth mode which I never used extensively, just remember that has to be set at both ends for it to work otherwise it defaults back to the normal mode.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It looks like it does offer some benefit. I am seeing a 50% reduction of data size transferred to offsite copy on a job that contains non OS/VM data.

Nice to see that it is of some benefit to you but seems odd it would work that way.  Be interested to hear more from your tests.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I replicate a ton of data and don’t use them. If I had a slower link, or unstable link it might be something to consider. with 10Gb network though my proxies do just fine. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I have used them, but I don’t see as much benefit.  The main benefit I’ve seen is if I’m copying data that is duplicated across multiple VM’s across the link, then it will deduplicate that data flow due to the caching.  But in all honestly, especially on fast links, it’s not all that beneficial.  There was also a time where you could get corruption in the accelerator cache and it caused for slower link.  In general, I just don’t use them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Arin -

Need any further info here? Did we provide you with sufficient info?

Comment