Skip to main content
Solved

Immutable impact on sizing

Hi all…. greetings...

I am thinking about immutable repo will affect repo sizing or not…

In general cases, immutable for 14d or 30d, which is just a part of the retention policy (say 30D 4W 3M 3Y), storage size is just the same no matter when the immutable is on or off

Also, in real sizing task, we usually reserve spaces for annual growth

Some occupation on storage spaces will be absorbed by the buffer...

What about in extreme scenario, large backup sources and no. of VMs, large delta change, and long immutable period say 3years. Will the sizing different between immutable on and off?

6 comments

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi,

check the new Calculator https://www.veeam.com/calculators/simple/vbr/machines you can set the desired immutability and see how it impacts the sizing.

But why would you want 3 years of immutability? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @GoldenTree,

Veeam calculator is a good sarting point.

If you set a long immutable period, obviously restore point will not expire until that period, so you will have to allocate more space.

Keep in mind the formula:

Actual retention = job retention policy + immutability period + block generation period

as described here https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/hiw_immutability_os.html?ver=120

@JSeeger it’s not so common having long immutability, but there are cases where I have to keep some backups for a long time, such as for legal requirements.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @GoldenTree -

One additional comment I’ll add to the comments already provided is to keep in mind immutability retention doesn’t begin until AFTER the last backup file is created in a chain. So just keep that in mind as well when, if and/or after you enable immutability and you are wondering why supposed “stale” retention points aren’t yet being removed by Veeam.

Best.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @GoldenTree -

One additional comment I’ll add to the comments already provided is to keep in mind immutability retention doesn’t begin until AFTER the last backup file is created in a chain. So just keep that in mind as well when, if and/or after you enable immutability and are wondering why supposed “stale” retention points aren’t yet being removed by Veeam.

Best.

This is something to definitely look at as many come back with questions about retention deletion.  Also the calculators are great for this! 😁

Userlevel 2

Hi,

check the new Calculator https://www.veeam.com/calculators/simple/vbr/machines you can set the desired immutability and see how it impacts the sizing.

But why would you want 3 years of immutability? 

Known that is uncommon for settings 3 years immutability, while having conversation to customer, they ask about why not set as long as possible if it is a free lunch for more safety

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @GoldenTree -

One additional comment I’ll add to the comments already provided is to keep in mind immutability retention doesn’t begin until AFTER the last backup file is created in a chain. So just keep that in mind as well when, if and/or after you enable immutability and you are wondering why supposed “stale” retention points aren’t yet being removed by Veeam.

Best.

Today I learned….

Comment