Solved

Immutable backup with repository on windows and linux VM

Userlevel 4

Hi,

is it possible to use immutable repository like this 

repository from local disks RAID-5 on a physical windows 2019 server that have Veeam V12 installed
and a Linux ubuntu 22.04 64bit on as virtual machine.

thanks

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 25 June 2023, 22:27

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Possible? Yes. Good idea? No.

That immutability means nothing the moment someone is on your VBR server and deletes that virtual machine.

Userlevel 4

I agree it’s not the best practice but if it can works so it’s better than no immutable at all. 

MFA also will be enable on VBR server for extra security. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I disagree completely @Gili Sela. this builds up a false sense of security where even MFA in Veeam will not prevent deletion of the backups.

Please consider putting VBR on a VM in your virtual infrastructure and use this physical server exclusively as a Linux hardened repository.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I disagree completely @Gili Sela. this builds up a false sense of security where even MFA in Veeam will not prevent deletion of the backups.

Please consider putting VBR on a VM in your virtual infrastructure and use this physical server exclusively as a Linux hardened repository.

I would have to agree with the suggestion here by Rasmus. Not a good idea or best practice to do it this way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I concur with the comments here. Though possible, we recommend using some other means to put your virtual VBR server on, & use this phys box exclusively as your VHR.

Comment