Solved

HP Data protector Data migration to Veeam V11

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi,

Though I know the answer but still curious to know, Can anyone migrated backed up data from HP Data Protector to Veeam Backup & Replication?  Is there any automation/Tool available to perform this?

Secondly, if my VBR 9.5 Tape Server is running on Windows 2008 & I am installing a new VBR V11a on Windows 2019 with new tape server & Drives.  Does new VBR V11 will be able to read the files from old tapes?

Regards,

Sunny

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 30 March 2022, 12:40

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

To your first question: I am not aware of a migration path from Data Protector to Veeam.

To your second question: Veeam V11(a) can read tapes written with V9.5. I have some of them myself and had no problems. You have to inventory your tapes after installing the new tape server and rediscovering your tape library.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can see this thread about the new tape server. it is a slightly different scenario, but the discover and inventory is the same.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@JMeixner Thanks for sharing detailed explanation.   Will help me a lot while designing the migration of tape server.  

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi,

we have a similar challenge (with DataProtector) in our environment and to make the story short; there is no way to migrate the backup data without restore it and backup it again; so normaly this is not a practical or feasible option.

Without knowing anything about your environment think about the following;

. setup a new DataProtector Cell server or convert the physical to a VM
. setup an VTL or Dedup store (maybe with a cloud connect option for cheap long term backups)
. add the new VTL or Dedup store to your old!! Cell server and do a media/object copy of the needed data (don´t forget the IDB!!)

. add the VTL or Dedup store to the new Cell
. import the media/sessions to the new Cell which you need to keep
. test a restore from the new environment
. shutdown the old environment and run restores if needed from the new Cell

Some considerations are:
. migrate (and keep) the old backup environment to a virtual plattform to keep it without hardware dependencies; auditors also like this ;-)
. be careful when you try to “migrate” the backup data to another tool mostlikely this will not work out well

. test test test ;-)

This is not a full “step by step list” just some brain storming, I hope this lead you in the right direction.

For the Veeam tape migration just follow @JMeixner advice.

Daniel

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Nice procedure 😎👍🏼

Comment