Solved

how to schedule jobs using script

• 1 November 2023
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hello, I am looking for a method or script to run backup jobs on a custom schedule.

The built-in scheduler seems very basic, and as a result, I have to run all jobs as incremental and then manually trigger a full every two weeks.

I have searched the veeam scripts and forum, could not find an solution.

so does anyone have a script or technique to run backups on a custom schedule?

perhaps using windows task scheduler, powershell, python or any such way?

Thanks much,

David

icon

Best answer by asdffdsa6132 1 November 2023, 16:22

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

??

The schedule isn’t really what I consider “basic”.. How do you want to run your jobs?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can schedule daily, hourly, by minute, continuously, or even incremental minutes. The incremental minutes is a little hidden...I’ll give you that. But, it’s possible to do many different types of schedules.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi, Thanks,

For example, I want to run a full on 15th of each month and last day of the month.
On all other days, an incremental.

As of now, can only schedule an active full once.

What i meant by “basic”, was that dropdown box is a list instead of a set of checkboxes.
So that is why I believe I must use some sort of script to achieve what I need.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Well, that’s how Veeam, or any backup product works. Not sure any product can do exactly that type of schedule. For Veeam, you utilize both the Backup Type (Forward, Forever Fwd, Reverse) and Retention (configured restore points or days) to decide on when a Full vs Incremental gets created. Then additionally, yes, you can add an extra Full to break up your chain. I think you can partly do this by configuring a Fwd backup, selecting to either use Synthetic or Active Fulls (your choice based off your need) & configure it for ‘Monthly’ and ‘On this day’ and select 15. I think the only way to achieve adding a Full on those 2 days per month is create your backups to start on the 1st; set a 30 day retention, then configure your additional Full as I just shared. It still wouldn’t do exactly as you want because there are obviously months with 30 days, 31 days, and (mostly) 29 days. I’m not sure of any script, etc. to do a schedule like you’re wanting. At the very least you could ping Veeam Support to see if there is a way → a Registry change, for example?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thanks, I will use windows task scheduler to run the scripts.
It has an checkbox for ‘Last’ day of the month.

For example, for full backups

$job = Get-VBRComputerBackupJob -Name "BACKUP_NAME"
Start-VBRComputerBackupJob -Job $job -FullBackup

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Powershell is probably where you’re going to want to go on this.  The PowerCLI can run jobs a little differently I believe if that’s what you’re looking for and then as noted above, once you get your command as you want, you should be able to set some task scheduler events to kick off each command as needed.  The way you want to run backups are a bit niche, but if you think it’s something that others would see value in, can’t promise anything here, but you could post a feature request in the R&D Forums.

Comment