Solved

How to perform a Monthly Backup to Tape as a second copy

Userlevel 2

Hello,

our data backup policy is as following:

1. incremental backup from monday to friday on a disk repository
  2. full backup every week on the same disk repository
  3. A second copy to tape is performed for all full data stored on the disk repository

Now we only want to start a duplication to Tape of all full backup data that are only generated by the jobs started the 1st-2nd of each month. How can I achieve this data backup policy?

Thanks for your help!

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 12 October 2022, 17:38

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The easiest and best way is to set up your Tape jobs as GFS.  This way you can tell it what you want to keep and when to run.  See here for more information - GFS Backup to Tape - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Also, best practices here - Tape - Veeam Backup & Replication Best Practice Guide

Userlevel 2

Hi @Chris.Childerhose thank you for your answer! Im’ going to configure GFS Media Pool.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Chris.Childerhose thank you for your answer! Im’ going to configure GFS Media Pool.

You're welcome. Let us know if that works and then remember to mark an answer as helpful for others.

Userlevel 2

Yes for sure @Chris.Childerhose ! I need first to upgrade the very old release 9.5 Update 4b Veeam to be able to create GFS Media Pool.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The easiest and best way is to set up your Tape jobs as GFS.  This way you can tell it what you want to keep and when to run.  See here for more information - GFS Backup to Tape - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Also, best practices here - Tape - Veeam Backup & Replication Best Practice Guide

I’d agree with this as a first choice. If you have issues you could also schedule your tape job as on the specified dates. Set it to use the last restore point under Options / Advanced/ Advanced. If the job is locked it will grab a the backup from the day prior and not time out.  Set it for the 2nd of each month and away you go. 

Comment