Skip to main content

How much market did CrowdStrike lose?

Let's discuss: 

Do you use CrowdStrike ?

If yes, how did you get affected?

29 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

We did use it at one point but have since replaced it with Carbon Black months ago thankfully.  They finally found a workaround and are working to fix the issue hopefully soon.

The workaround is manually deleting a SYS file but depending on your number of servers it could be a daunting task for a Friday before the weekend.  😪

It will be interesting to see how many customers they potentially loose.  I know there stock has dropped over $45 per share.  😮

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

We did use it at one point but have since replaced it with Carbon Black months ago thankfully.  They finally found a workaround and are working to fix the issue hopefully soon.

The workaround is manually deleting a SYS file but depending on your number of servers it could be a daunting task for a Friday before the weekend.  😪

It will be interesting to see how many customers they potentially loose.  I know there stock has dropped over $45 per share.  😮

Yes, at least in the short term, everyone will associate them with a company that can't be trusted. Twitter is full of memes and jokes about it, which certainly won't look good. I completely agree—it will be interesting to see how many clients will move away from them in the near future.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’m always surprised how fast this type of events are forgotten.

Remember the Garmin outage ? Nobody could sync their data. It took them several days to become available again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I’m always surprised how fast this type of events are forgotten.

Remember the Garmin outage ? Nobody could sync their data. It took them several days to become available again.

That's a good point, Kristof! People tend to forget quick but at the same time many clients already left, shares dropped, so it's a financial hit anyway. 

Will have to see how things look for them in the future. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

“Do you use CS?” → kinda. We were/are looking at implementing in our environment….not sure to what extent though as this is being spearheaded by our Security Admin

“How did it effect you?” → Well, we had only installed the agent on a handful of Windows servers (non-critical) and I think just a few linux servers. So, it was really mostly a non-issue for us. But I certainly feel for those who have to remediate thousands of devices and/or servers! 😳

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

There’s certainly no doubt some folks in CS’s QA team will not be employeed in the coming days.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

There’s certainly no doubt some folks in CS’s QA team will not be employeed in the coming days.

Really unfortunate the whole thing. There will be repercussions for employees and company in general. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I know from two customers which are running CrowdStrike, both of them had a lot of trouble this day. One environment with round about 50 servers, a lot of branch-offices can’t work, colleagues who can’t get their work done - some of them have to spend their weekend time now. Also many external suppliers who are struggling in the delivery chain.

We’ve heard a lot of CrowdStrike in the past, only good-speaking words and recommendations. But today, this changed - very bad, for the whole company, their clients and the trust in their solution all over the world :/ 

Looking at the stocks, now it’s the time to buy the dip, or risk losing even more 😅

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Today we once again realized the importance of backup and disaster recovery scenarios.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yes, at least in the short term, everyone will associate them with a company that can't be trusted. Twitter is full of memes and jokes about it, which certainly won't look good. I completely agree—it will be interesting to see how many clients will move away from them in the near future.

Yeah! Disregard those myths as many of them are ill-informed. Not a Windows problem, yet dragged in the mud. Windows is rock solid. BTW, we will continue to see more attacks on Linux https://www.sans.org/blog/linux-intrusions-a-growing-problem/

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I know from two customers which are running CrowdStrike, both of them had a lot of trouble this day. One environment with round about 50 servers, a lot of branch-offices can’t work, colleagues who can’t get their work done - some of them have to spend their weekend time now. Also many external suppliers who are struggling in the delivery chain.

We’ve heard a lot of CrowdStrike in the past, only good-speaking words and recommendations. But today, this changed - very bad, for the whole company, their clients and the trust in their solution all over the world :/ 

Looking at the stocks, now it’s the time to buy the dip, or risk losing even more 😅

They will bounce back after a while as this can happen to any software company. For example, McAfee (now Trellix) had some bad cases in years past. But they are one of the biggest players today. They will only take their QA more seriously next time. Here is an interesting piece https://www.quora.com/Can-McAfee-cause-a-blue-screen

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I'm in holidays this week. I'm sure Monday I’ll spend hours reading my email...

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

This is a massive failure at the Upper Management level. They are paid the big bucks to make certain that there is no single point of failure. It is their responsibility to make sure systems are in place. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi there!
Nice topic, we were chekcing a POV for the product, and right after the “outage” the project got canceled and dropped off.

We will look for a different vendor/tech.

This will be another runout like in the past with other big vendors after merge and aquisicions, bit failures, etc.

Best of luck to crowstrike employees.

cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi there!
Nice topic, we were chekcing a POV for the product, and right after the “outage” the project got canceled and dropped off.

This will be another runout like in the past with other big vendors after merge and aquisicions, bit failures, etc.

cheers.

Fair decision! But this can happen to any of the vendors as we have seen with McAfee (now Trellix), Symantec and now, “Crowdstrike”!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

😂😂

Userlevel 4

Hi,

We’ve just ended the POV and decided to move to CS last thursday….IMHO there is no a technical reason to change our decision. Any vendor can make a mistake, and fortunately this is far away from being really catastrophinc. It has been fixed in hours…. I’ve been in the IT world for decades and yes, I’ve seen outages, crashes, failures and more..and much more hard to be fixed...this has been magnificated because it impacted in Azure and almost everybody is laying their infrastructure on MS guys (not my case luckily)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

fyi

New Recovery Tool to help with CrowdStrike issue impacting Windows endpoints - Microsoft Community Hub

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Nice to see they came out with a tool to help users recover.  👍🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I do not use Crowdstrike.  We used to, but mostly due to pricing, we ended up changing to something else about a year to a year and a half ago.  With that said, one of my clients uses a nearly dark site and had to supply me with a laptop to log into their systems.  Turns out they indeed use Crowdstrike.  While the laptop had been off for a while, I’m beginning a project for them shortly and fired the laptop up last week to verify I still had access to everything I needed.  Monday when I came into the office (as I had taken Friday off), I was greeted with the infamous blue screen sitting on my desk.  I can’t even fix it myself as the drive is encrypted and I don’t have the bitlocker recovery key as I don’t manage that laptop, so I have to take it to them to delete the offending file.  But aside from that, I lucked out.  

That said, it was 2:30AM when I got word of the issue globally, and a friend of mine was affected.  He had to address 84 servers and I believe 864 workstations/laptops/tablets.  But the US was generally lucky I think on the timing as it occurred very early for us, so many folks, my buddy included, were able to get all of the servers back up and running before production started.  However, it took him 14 hours to get all of the endpoints resolved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Personally, I think it’ll blow over.  I know they’ll likely lose a few customers in the long run, but that drop in stock does make it a bit appealing to me to buy while it’s low.  I actually expected that it would rebound a bit faster, but to be fair, the not all of the clients have already rebounded either.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there!

cheers.

Fair decision! But this can happen to any of the vendors as we have seen with McAfee (now Trellix), Symantec and now, “Crowdstrike”!

Another that came up was Solarwinds.  The problem is that this reached such a global scale is that non-IT folks now know the name Crowdstrike, and not for good reasons.  Some of those failures/breaches still stayed within the IT realm and didn’t get a poor mark for the overall public perception like CS is getting now.  But this too shall pass.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Nice to see they came out with a tool to help users recover.  👍🏼

Downside…..you still need to supply your bitlocker recovery key for those with encrypted drives….that seems to be where the major hangup on recovering would be.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Personally, I think it’ll blow over.  I know they’ll likely lose a few customers in the long run, but that drop in stock does make it a bit appealing to me to buy while it’s low.  I actually expected that it would rebound a bit faster, but to be fair, the not all of the clients have already rebounded either.

That is a pretty substantial drop for sure and more than likely they will rebound but it might take some months.

Comment