How do you handle downloading patches and ISOs?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Veeam ISOs and updates are all behind a login portal, how do you all handle downloading patches and fresh installations for customer environments?

Some customers don’t wish to supply email addresses for Veeam accounts or they’ve registered it to an IT contact’s email address and so again, due to the integrations between the download portal and Veeam R&D forums (and even here at the Veeam Community) it’s providing access to far more than necessary for a download.

The alternative is using our ProPartner accounts for downloading these files but then the question becomes, can we trust the customer’s network? In the age of zero trust that doesn’t seem wise.

Finally with all the remote working requirements it feels excessive to be downloading files from Veeam to my own machine and then upload to the client device. Upload speed of residential connections is not the UK’s strongest point…

Curious if other people share these difficulties?

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

It depends on the customer and how we're working in their environment. Normally I use their account if I'm working in their user session; the advantage is that you can also assign the support case administrator in the same step. Sometimes I upload the files to our file sharing service and download it at the customer site. If the internet connection is too slow then the customer should download it in advance. And finally I use my own account if I trust the environment and the client on which I'm working; but you're right and I would feel better if the Veeam account supported MFA.

Like I said it really depends but except for a few times it wasn't a problem to get the installation files. Rather it gets complicated to find the license or license administrator ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It depends on the customer and how we're working in their environment. Normally I use their account if I'm working in their user session; the advantage is that you can also assign the support case administrator in the same step. Sometimes I upload the files to our file sharing service and download it at the customer site. If the internet connection is too slow then the customer should download it in advance. And finally I use my own account if I trust the environment and the client on which I'm working; but you're right and I would feel better if the Veeam account supported MFA.

Like I said it really depends but except for a few times it wasn't a problem to get the installation files. Rather it gets complicated to find the license or license administrator ;)

Great shout on MFA. I do think this is increasingly important as we get systems like Pulse on the ProPartner portal. I think it’d be nice if Veeam removed the sign in part for patches at least, unless this is part of a move to stop people downloading newer Veeam versions than their support contract, wouldn’t make sense as the license file would govern this anyway surely and you can register for a trial and download everything anyway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

We download the sources in our secure environment and transfer the files to the customer environments.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

We download the sources in our secure environment and transfer the files to the customer environments.

Pre-COVID that’s what I’d do, but its been a pain sending an ISO over a 16Mbps link after having access to a 1Gbps line, sad times. But still, larger issues in the world. Was just looking for better solutions!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Pre-COVID that’s what I’d do, but its been a pain sending an ISO over a 16Mbps link after having access to a 1Gbps line, sad times. But still, larger issues in the world. Was just looking for better solutions!

Ok, I see your point.

We have direct access to the customer environments. So this is no problem for us….

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Downloading ONLY updates needed in every version rather than downloading the whole version. and make Veeam updates itself direct from the internet with required ports. That’s what on my mind.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Downloading ONLY updates needed in every version rather than downloading the whole version. and make Veeam updates itself direct from the internet with required ports. That’s what on my mind.

This would definitely be a great feature!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This would definitely be a great feature!

This would be a nice feature.

But this requires the Backup Server to have internet access. Our Backup Server don’t have it - so we will have to stay with “download and distribute”… :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I instruct the customer to download the right file(s). This works fine for the most customers. If not, I download the file using my account and logoff immediately afterwards. Last option is to take the files with me - which is at these times no option :unamused:

Pipe dream: A update-button within the GUI would be great! Like updating a VMware VCSA: just select the version you want to update and press install. Software takes care of all necessary steps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

It would also be great if we didn’t receive an email for every single download of a Veeam product. It’s ok for the first time but if you’re regularly downloading different products it can get annoying. And, fun fact, those emails seem to be sent by the fastest email service available as they’re in my inbox before every download finishes (event VBO takes longer to download) ;)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I log in to my.veeam.com on my machine then start and cancel the download.  Then I grab the URL it was downloading and paste that to tenant / client machine and download the file there.  It’s not ideal, but better than exposing login info to tenant / client, or downloading several GB of ISO (of which I need a few hundred MB) and then having to transfer it over the tenant / client machine. 

+1 for stop emailing me for every file I download.  I KNOW I downloaded it!

+1 for only downloading what it actually needs. 

+1 for an update button that “just works”. Currently the nearest is VBO365 - which takes about 10-20 clicks over 5-15 minutes.

Comment