Skip to main content
Solved

Horizon VDI & RDSH backup best practices

Hello everyone,

If we are going to use Veeam to backup VDI and RDSH on vSAN cluster, what are the recommendations for RDSH and VDI (Full, linked, instant) clones backup? 

I think backup linked and instant clones doesn’t make sense, we can backup gold images, full clones, users profiles. 

I appreciate your feedback and if there is validated design document for this solution to be shared.

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@MicoolPaul 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Moustafa,

Breaking this down:
RDSH - Definitely protect them or at least any gold image you’re using to deploy them from

VDI VMs - Never protect the linked/instant clones, just the gold image in that case. Any persistent VMs you could consider protecting.

Additional note: You can use the Horizon Agent on physical too, so you could deploy the Veeam Agent to protect those servers, as Veeam’s P2V will still benefit you greatly in a DR scenario.

RE official design document, I don’t believe there is one when I’ve looked, but I did give a write up when someone else asked this question a while ago, if you haven’t seen this:

You’ll find considerations for how to protect VMware resources running on a vSAN datastore from a proxy perspective for example, as well as notes around the management layer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @MicoolPaul 

I don’t know how to thank you! 

Comment