Solved

Horizon VDI & RDSH backup best practices

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello everyone,

If we are going to use Veeam to backup VDI and RDSH on vSAN cluster, what are the recommendations for RDSH and VDI (Full, linked, instant) clones backup? 

I think backup linked and instant clones doesn’t make sense, we can backup gold images, full clones, users profiles. 

I appreciate your feedback and if there is validated design document for this solution to be shared.

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 2 March 2023, 14:06

View original

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@MicoolPaul 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Moustafa,

Breaking this down:
RDSH - Definitely protect them or at least any gold image you’re using to deploy them from

VDI VMs - Never protect the linked/instant clones, just the gold image in that case. Any persistent VMs you could consider protecting.

Additional note: You can use the Horizon Agent on physical too, so you could deploy the Veeam Agent to protect those servers, as Veeam’s P2V will still benefit you greatly in a DR scenario.

RE official design document, I don’t believe there is one when I’ve looked, but I did give a write up when someone else asked this question a while ago, if you haven’t seen this:

You’ll find considerations for how to protect VMware resources running on a vSAN datastore from a proxy perspective for example, as well as notes around the management layer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @MicoolPaul 

I don’t know how to thank you! 

Comment