Question

Home Lab Special Section?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Everyone,

I have moved forward on my home lab. Proxmox is installed and I am finding it very intuitive. I now have to see about what I can do about a Veeam setup (can I nest a Veeam supported Hypervizor in there etc). I have also added one of those ethernet over power lines connections to my basement. That also seems to be working perfectly, hooray no need to rip out walls for cabling. I got to thinking though, so many of us need to test and play with Veeam outside of work confines and the info about home labs is scattered all over the site in different posts. Do  people think it would be helpful to have a separate Home Lab section. This is a place where newbies or people re-thinking their setup could come with the ultimate goal of getting more lab exposure to Veeam. Or should we just leave as be and use the search function? What does everyone think? Again I don’t know how feasible this would be and it would not be a new group per-se. Just an idea.

Would it be helpful to have Veeam Home Lab Help Group?

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I like the idea of a new section as there are many questions out there for sure on homelab setups or how to get started.  Those of us that have been doing it for a while can give input or suggestions as well as we can put our current setup.  I would be all in for being an Admin in the group if needed. 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

At first read, my first reaction is “Yeah!...I think it’d be worthwhile to have a section like that.” But after thinking a bit...is it really? People create home labs for different purposes. Is a separate section on the Hub worth the effort? Is there that much posting for it, or is it cyclic to where it could be a ‘dead section’ for long stretches? My guess is the latter. I think I lean towards “no”, but open for either.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

At first read, my first reaction is “Yeah!...I think it’d be worthwhile to have a section like that.” But after thinking a bit...is it really? People create home labs for different purposes. Is a separate section on the Hub worth the effort? Is there that much posting for it, or is it cyclic to where it could be a ‘dead section’ for long stretches? My guess is the latter. I think I lean towards “no”, but open for either.

yeah these are great points Shane. It is important to think about all the consequences. This came up as I have recently had a few newbies (possibly students) ask about how to get practice with Veeam. One of my first suggestions apart from Veeam University is to at least get home lab and community edition. Then the next question comes up 😀. On the other hand what you say is important because creating a dead zone does nothing but bloat the Hub so that has to be kept in mind as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Maybe “a where to get hands on experience section”. That would also encompass home labs but also point to online simulators that might be out there as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Maybe “a where to get hands on experience section”. That would also encompass home labs but also point to online simulators that might be out there as well.

This may work as well.  Hard to say but something maybe to bring up on the next V100 call?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’m with Shane.  I like the idea of separate, thematic sections for certain things, but I feel like this is one time that maybe it may not be worth it.  Is a homelab really all that different than production when it comes to using best practices, designing the best architecture, etc?  And as Shane noted, there’s different reasons for a homelab, or lab in general.  Perhaps as I think aloud, just a lab section makes more sense than homelab, but even then, not sure if it matters as much in this case.  I’m open to both having it and not having it, but I’m not sure if it makes as much sense to have a separate section in this case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Perhaps a HARDWARE section could work. 

Post your hardware with your results.

Post about your home lab environment.

Post your storage and what kind of performance you are getting with Veeam.

Post your proxy servers, CPU and Memory consumption.

Ask hardware related questions etc.

It has a wider scope than “HomeLab” but most of this can be added in the blog section as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I like all the approaches!

Maybe would be good to initially start using the tags in order to better clarify the content, and also a little Lab - Hardware Test - etc. in the tittle for easy search.

As all the info will be in the Hub, its just a matter of how to search for it!

cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I do kinda like the idea of hardware recommendations, perhaps Architecture oriented.  I think there’s a lot of options to be explored, maybe not quite as narrow as homelab, but that would include that sort of content.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I think an "Hardware" section would be a great place to discuss everything from homelabs to production hardware. It's a cool idea!

Comment