Skip to main content

Hello,

I was wondering if some of you have already try to play with immutable repository for backup job in Veeam for M365 v8.

I want to try the governance mode but I not sure how to test it properly…

I use a Wasabi bucket set with versioning and immuability. In Veeam I created my repository with the following parameters

My backup worked properly

Now I want to test the immutability. But I'm not sure to how to proceed.

In wasabi console I tried to delete the bucket directly, I got the message:

Okay, I decided to delete the Veeam folder and tadammm the folder has been deleted

The bucket should be empty so I relaunch my job, I though to have a new Full backup, but no. Veeam create an incremental…

Strange….
Now I want to try to delete some data from Veeam but except with powershell it’s not possible.

I’m looking a cmdlet to delete all sites in my repository.​​​​​​​

I have not tried this as yet with v8 but will be looking in to it.  It will be interesting to see your findings here for any gotchas and such.  Will keep an eye on this thread.  👀

Okay ! I found something interresting 
We are using object lock by versioning.
When you delete objects that are immutable on the object storage there will be 2 versions then (the original one and the deleted one).
In Wasabi it’s possible to show the version.

Bucket with folder deleted

Same bucket when you active show version

The Folder is still present, when you delete versioned data from S3 it doesnt actually delete it. It puts a delete marker on the data and hides it in the browser.

So that’s why Veeam continue the backup chain Full + Incremental…

Now like I set my bucket in governance mode I’m looking to delete if you have an idea :D 

Unsure how you would delete something that Wasabi hides?  That is interesting and maybe contacting them might help get you some answers.  🤷🏼

@Stabz, please take a look at this guide from @drews 

Hey  @Iams3le
I follow this kb, but in my case I want to use governance mode and test it.  

Have you tried using S3 Browser or another tool to delete the vertion you do not need 

This is a good suggestion as it seems S3 browser would see the “deleted” items to allow deletion.  Interested to see if this works Philippe.

I'm not very familiar with this tools
I try Cyberduck, I see my files protected with Governance mode

But I have nothing in versioning.

I tested S3 Browser, this time I see the version

But when I try to delete a revision I got 

In complement I have try to delete data from the Poweshel Cli , deleting Restore Points manually within VB365 is blocked for repositories with immutable backups

So looks like you cannot delete them even with Governance on.  I thought you could though?  Maybe thoughts from @drews ?

Have you read the article from @SteveF! Some important comments are also in this guide which means, manual deletion are not possible except via VBR. Please see 

Comment