Solved

Hardened repo access after upgrading to v12

Show first post

35 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hey @dloseke ...I’m following up on this as I’m now beginning my VBR upgrade. I have 2 servers - main/prod one for backups and a DR one or replication. I upgraded my repl VBR server last wk without hitch. I’m just getting ready to start the upgrade of my main VBR server today, which has a hardened repo attached to it. So, all which was needed was to re-add the local linux user to sudo to be able to finalize the upgrade of the repo component piece, correct?

Thanks!

Userlevel 3

Oh I totally understand that one can add different account types there @coolsport00, and I did add the correct linux account and tested the ssh single use authentication and it worked fine.

Guess what I’m trying to say is how does one use this account to authenticate to the repository via either the backup job or the repository settings as the backups keep failing due to authentication.

6/23/2023 8:33:08 AM :: Error: Permission denied
Failed to get file system object info: '/media/local48/VeeamRepository/VeeamBackups/Exchange Linux Immutable/Exchange Linux Immutable.vbm'
Agent failed to process method {FileSystem.Exists}.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ah ok. Gotcha. I was actually thinking about that yesterday (your question). Thus why I was curious what support would say. How does one ‘reauthenticate’ against the VHR after it’s already been upgraded? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Nice! Appreciate the share @PDXdoug !

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Awesome. Glad to hear Derek!

I had the exact same problem.

I can confirm that resaving the one time ssh credentials resolved the problem.

Under “ backup infrastructure” →  “managed servers” - > Linux → Properties then add the one time ssh credentials again and let it complete. The repository is back online!

Userlevel 3

Hey @regnor 

You are most likely correct, but I do love the keywords “should” and “maybe” :-)

There are three options I can think of.

1. Delete the Linux Repo, then recreate it using the correct ssh single use authentication for the storage directories. Just not sure what this would do to the backup chains.
  2. Change permissions on the storage directories to match the single use ssh credentials I used to upgrade the host.
  3. Somehow edit the SQL database where the credentials are stored to match the current storage directory permissions.

Support suggested going into Credentials & Passwords and creating the correct account. Great idea but there is no way to add those account credentials for repository access. Access Permissions in the repository only allows for AD accounts. 

Unless I’m missing something here.

• Doug
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Glad to also hear future updates won’t require the couple extra steps. They aren’t difficult, but convenient for the hardened repo to upgrade/update as ‘normal’ repos do. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I re-referenced myself when I upgraded 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Glad I could help!  I imagine I may even have to come back and reference it for other clients, but perhaps not since this should be easier once on v12 to newer versions!

Comment