GuestUnmap and Unmapfairness that is enabled may lead to vSAN issues

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

One of my customer upgraded the vSAN cluster to 7.0 U3d from 6.7 U3, unfortunately my customer reported the performance of some virtual machines is dropped. We have opened the SR to VMware GSS, but they do not find out the reason. I search some useful information in the internet, it may be related to a known issue exists on vSAN 7.0. I shared the following information to VMware GSS, now we are waiting for confirmation from VMware.

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-vSAN-Discussions/vSAN-7-0-poor-write-performance-and-high-latency-with-NVMe/td-p/2807761

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/88832

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Interesting issue for sure.  Let us know the outcome Victor.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Sure. I will let you know the result.😙

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Chris.Childerhose We will apply the workaround this week. Update you soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Chris.ChilderhoseWe will apply the workaround this week. Update you soon.

@Chris.Childerhose My customer applied the workaround last Friday, it seems the performance issue is resolved. And the backup windows for some critical VMs is also improved, they are using the Veeam VBR v11. Now they will keep to monitor a few days.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Chris.ChilderhoseMy customer applied the workaround last Friday, it seems the performance issue is resolved. And the backup windows for some critical VMs is also improved, they are using the Veeam VBR v11. Now they will keep to monitor a few days.

Very cool that the fix corrected the problem. Hopefully things work smooth now.  Thanks for the update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Chris.ChilderhoseMy customer applied the workaround last Friday, it seems the performance issue is resolved. And the backup windows for some critical VMs is also improved, they are using the Veeam VBR v11. Now they will keep to monitor a few days.

Very cool that the fix corrected the problem. Hopefully things work smooth now.  Thanks for the update.

@Chris.Childerhose We have applied this workaround into production environment, the performance issue of all VMs is resolved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Chris.ChilderhoseWe have applied this workaround into production environment, the performance issue of all VMs is resolved.

Very cool and glad to hear it was resolved Victor. 😁

Comment