Skip to main content
Solved

Getting general exception when sending test email using microsoft modern authentication

Hello - I am running Veaam Backup and Replication V.12 and am attempting to configure email notifications using Microsoft 365 modern authentication. I authorized the connection via the MSFT 365 signin dialogue and when complete I can see the indicator that the token is valid, but when I send a test email I get a general exception error message (see screenshot). The error doesn’t give allot to go on, has anyone else seen this and can recommend a solution?

15 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Are you using the latest 12.1.2 release?  If not I would update and see.  Also when you added the configuration was there a prompt for an SSL certificate and did you accept it?  Trying to find more details on this one.

Userlevel 1

Wow thanks for the quick response. This is a fresh install of the latest release so I am at the latest version. Because it is Microsoft 365 modern authentication there is no SSL cert setting to be found.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Wow thanks for the quick response. This is a fresh install of the latest release so I am at the latest version. Because it is Microsoft 365 modern authentication there is no SSL cert setting to be found.

Ok.  I will do some searching as I have never seen this one before but don’t use M365 auth for email alerts as we have our own mail servers we use.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I use M365 auth and haven’t seen that error. I did a brief search and couldn’t find anything. May be best to open a Support case and see if they have a resolution for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Have you tried re-authorizing?  I’ve seen this when it’s not authorized, but usually the message shows that it’s not as well.  Will note that this is pre 12.1.2.

Userlevel 1

Have you tried re-authorizing?  I’ve seen this when it’s not authorized, but usually the message shows that it’s not as well.  Will note that this is pre 12.1.2.

I tried reauhorizing twice and still no luck. I would just use SMTP but Microsoft shut down app specific passswords which eliminates the ability to config for that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I tried reauhorizing twice and still no luck. I would just use SMTP but Microsoft shut down app specific passswords which eliminates the ability to config for that.

Would suggest contacting Support to see if there is a bug with this and they can check your logs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Just brainstorming but any sort of SSL Interception or packet inspection happening on your firewalls?  Also, is the from address a valid email address in your M365 tenant that you’re relaying through?

Userlevel 1

@Chris.Childerhose I am on the community edition, how would I get support. I understand that I have to be a paying customer to do so.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

@Chris.Childerhose I am on the community edition, how would I get support. I understand that I have to be a paying customer to do so.

You can still submit a support ticket but it will be a best effort support versus being on paid support.

Can you try something - if you have a Gmail account set up Google for the mail relay and see if that works?  I am just wondering if the issue is a license problem possibly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

You can still submit a support ticket but it will be a best effort support versus being on paid support.

Can you try something - if you have a Gmail account set up Google for the mail relay and see if that works?  I am just wondering if the issue is a license problem possibly.

I think you can no longer use Gmail (free) for relaying email and have to be a Workspace customer.  That said, there are some services out there that work for relaying that would have a free tier.  SendGrid is the first one that comes to mind.  Also, if you use a different service for messaging hygiene than the EOP built-into M365, you may be able to relay through that service instead with some light configuration.  For instance, I have clients using Barracuda Email Gateway Defense and we can relay on-prem through that service rather than direct to M365, though we almost always relay through 365.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @mattymil -

Per the Veeam Edition Comparison Guide:
https://www.veeam.com/veeam_data_platform_feature_comparison_ds.pdf pg. 19,

“Email notification/customization capability is not an available feature in the Community Edition” sadly.

Veeam Edition Comparison

Only way to enable this feature is with a license.

Best.

Userlevel 1

Hi @mattymil -

Per the Veeam Edition Comparison Guide:
https://www.veeam.com/veeam_data_platform_feature_comparison_ds.pdf pg. 19,

“Email notification/customization capability is not an available feature in the Community Edition” sadly.

Veeam Edition Comparison

Only way to enable this feature is with a license.

Best.

Thanaks for this. I am not using Veeam One, I am using Backup and Replication 12 Community edition. I configured my 365 environment to accept SMTP AUTH and configured the email notifications using SMTP. THe notifications are now working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Glad to hear you got it working @mattymil and thanks for sharing the solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @mattymil -

Ah yes...that is in the VeeamONE section. Apologies for that. Good catch! 😊

That’s great to hear you’re now working with SMTP Auth through your M365 infrastructure. Thanks for sharing what you did to get that part working.

Comment