Fun Friday: Which Common Sysadmin Tool have you seen do the Most Damage?

Show first post

31 comments

Userlevel 3

as root from the root directory:

rm -rf * &; exit

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Shutting down a (wrong) ESXi host without reading the message that there are still VMs running.

Related to what you said but unrelated to the original topic:

A client I used to deal with infrequently had ESXi servers going offline unexpectedly. They were in a managed datacentre and the technicians kept on powering off some of their servers when OTHER customers’ servers needed reboots mistakenly.

The latest time this happened the client (quite rightly) got very irate and demanded to know what happened this time and why they couldn’t tell their servers apart. Their support team claimed that a cable must’ve leaned on the server’s power button whilst they were working on another server in the rack. If true it makes you question what the cabling looks like in that place!

Right! I guess all of us have seen such cabling in different server locations :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Exchange CUs not executed from privileged command line 😂 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Not so much a tool but reading documentation I have seen be one of the most dangerous.  If you have the docs and design - follow them!!  That way I don’t have to fix things later. :joy:

Userlevel 3

or how about forgetting ctrl+al+ins (The VMware VM console combination on Windows VMs for ctrl+alt+del) on some linux systems is ‘reboot’ system ….been burned a few times with that one

I learned this the hard way also.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

“In the old days” I managed to kill a OS/2 server with “rm -r” only. Just started it from the wrong directory At these times this was the whole environment… :wink:

So, I don’t need a special tool for this….  :laughing::laughing::laughing:

:rofl::rofl:

Comment