Fun Friday: Linux Distribution of Choice?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey everyone,

I was working on reviving my decade old MacBook Pro yesterday, I didn’t want to put MacOS on it again because the only versions it supports are end of life, so inevitably I went down the Linux route.

I prepped my USB, installed my distribution of choice (Ubuntu) and set it up as I needed (my dedicated GPU is dead so I needed a fair few tweaks to force the integrated one).

As I was installing Ubuntu, it occurred to me, I gave ZERO thought to deploying anything other than Ubuntu, it’s just MY default go-to when I need a Linux OS.

So, what’s your go-to? Why is it your go-to? Was it a feature, a security/compliance requirement? Was it the support? Or was it the first one you just *clicked* with?

For me, I first started using Ubuntu on the 10.x release. I used Debian and Centos, but Ubuntu just felt nicer to use, helping me learn more about Linux and getting me comfortable enough to go headless on a Linux server (which would make me more confident when Windows started doing Core later on!).

28 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yeah it's hard to get around Ubuntu, so I do understand love here 😁 Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of it, I'm sorry @chris_eromosele 😉

Ubuntu and Fedora Core were the first distributions I've played with. Ubuntu has always been user friendly and had a broad support, so it was never a bad choice. I often see it in the wild and have used it with Veeam because if it's integration. I just don't like the way of the project as they often do their own stuff instead of working together with other projects. And I still remember the Amazon shopping lense…

My personal choice is openSUSE, which is running on my desktop and home server. It's very stable, has a huge package support and it's connected to SUSE Enterprise Linux, just like CentOS used to be. I like the Gecko and it's green 😀

I love your (this) line “my personal choice is openSUSE”. I should have personalised my statement too :smile:  

I think much in the Opensource world is based on personal choices and sympathies, although that’s no always ideal :sweat_smile:

I never saw that! As I mainly focused on Ubuntu for Server! But glad it’s gone!

And there’s been good mentions here about the changes to CentOS. It’s worth mentioning that anyone wanting to get RHEL equivalent can look at the Rocky project :) it’s by the original founder of CentOS!

I’m also glad that they’ve removed it afterwards, as it had a very bade taste…

Regarding the CentOS successors; for now I would wait to see how good they develope themselves and if they can survive for a certain time.

Opinion seconded!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

It’s love at first sight with this topic.

I’m a Microsoft Cert Sysadmin, so my first OS is Windows. With its merits and its defects.

But as University extraction, in past years I worked a lot on linux too, and… yes… I think I tried/worked on like almost 30 different distros, from most common to private/specific too. 

Mint is OOTB superb. But idk it’s also very boring.

Fedora’s little to heavy for my needs, and virtualization tecnology implemented in GNOME I don’t like it at all.

Kali/Parrot as primary OS no thanks, so my choice goes on classic Ubuntu LTS just as base system to virtualize on Kali and Parrot for osint/pentest.

And of course, XFCE rules.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

This post is a super source for exploring new Linux-distris … at least for me

Comment