Fun Friday: Linux Distribution of Choice?

Show first post

28 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I started my Linux steps on Debian 5. Ubuntu was the sequence…

Look for that..

Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian. Therefore, “Ubuntu ≡ Debian” only with a little differences 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yeah it's hard to get around Ubuntu, so I do understand love here 😁 Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of it, I'm sorry @chris_eromosele 😉

Ubuntu and Fedora Core were the first distributions I've played with. Ubuntu has always been user friendly and had a broad support, so it was never a bad choice. I often see it in the wild and have used it with Veeam because if it's integration. I just don't like the way of the project as they often do their own stuff instead of working together with other projects. And I still remember the Amazon shopping lense…

My personal choice is openSUSE, which is running on my desktop and home server. It's very stable, has a huge package support and it's connected to SUSE Enterprise Linux, just like CentOS used to be. I like the Gecko and it's green 😀

I love your (this) line “my personal choice is openSUSE”. I should have personalised my statement too :smile:  

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Just to add with the ports you can change the make file if I remember correctly and have the application build specifically for your system, cutting out tons of excess crap. My biggest dislike of windows is that you are force to buy the Buffalo pretty much, i.e. this big chunk of everything, where as with Linux and BSD systems you can make them lean and mean, remove everything. Heck you can even remove the shell like in immutable containers, rm -r /bin :) but of course on an OS that could cause some issues :) 

Comment