Fun Friday #61: Unexpected Incidents / I can't believe that happened!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Happy Friday everyone,

Today’s inspiration for Fun Friday comes from Reddit. I saw a picture today of a fibre cable broken by… an arrow!

https://www.reddit.com/r/nevertellmetheodds/comments/10ya76l/arrow_accidentally_pierces_fiber_utility_line_and/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Sometimes shocking events like this happen that you just wish you’d caught on camera.

Reminds me of the time that I had a 2-post UPS, had just installed it into the rack, and all the cage nuts sheered simultaneously, and it crashed down onto an LCD monitor that we weren’t allowed to relocate. The best part? The hinge bent back on the monitor but was still in-tact, and the screen! Of which the bezel had taken the full force of the UPS!

Anyone got a good “Can’t believe this happened” story to share?

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

It screams: '’to the cloud(s)" 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Wow, that’s incredible. The closest I had was an aerial line on a pole, much like that one, but the road was to be widened. And they had a contract… so they widened the road while the pole was still there. 

needless to say we had an unplanned outage as they removed the pole hastily, and then the ISP decided to cancel service in our area. So it was a 2-1 fail!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hard to believe that an arrow did that and that someone got an arrow to go through there that precisely.  LOL

Glad our fiber is in the ground here in Canada. 😋

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Robin Hood in England can do that 😅

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

A long time ago, in a place far away.. I was told.. “We do things here our way” and the company that I was consulting decided to cut costs and install a water pipe through the server room. I told them that with the quality of their local pipes that was bound to become a disaster…

Low and behold 2 Months later the pipe burst and ruined the servers. 

Completely unexpected.. I could not believe that it happened! 

but what is more they replaced the pipe and just installed it slightly higher :)

Comment