Solved

Forcing a job to stop

• 21 September 2023
  • 13 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge

I have a job that was canceled or stopped by VEEAM support 20+ hours ago and it is still running and I need it to be stopped as I am trying to do some other things 

any thoughts on how to stop it forcefully?

This job is writing to Azure blob storage

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 21 September 2023, 18:50

View original

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes... You can close the Console, then stop the Veeam Backup service.

CAUTION : If you stop this service.. All jobs will stop, so make sure no other jobs are running! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could rt-click > stop immediately as well, but I find that takes time as well. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

You could rt-click > stop immediately as well, but I find that takes time as well. 

Tried that, but since it is a cloud job, that is no longer an option as it is greyed out

I was wondering what service it was to stop the job, I will try the main service and see what happens 

I will be back with an update

thanks, 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The other option is to look at the backup log file and find the Windows PID.  You can then open Task Manager and kill the process with the corresponding ID.  I have done this thousands of times.

Worse case just reboot the server if needed and allowed.  😋

Userlevel 5
Badge

I am going to bounce the server, i have to restart all of the services anyway for some other registry changes I made due to some other VEEAM issues

thanks guys

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I quote Chris, done many times using job ID and task manager.

You can find the correct job ID editing the job (i.e. https://www.adminnotes.net/how-to-kill-veeam-job-stuck-in-stooping-status/) , or using the Get-VBRJob Veeam powershell command!

Userlevel 3

Unfortunately that is also the solution I have to go with, restarting services manually or restarting the whole system. The “stop” button in Veeam rarely ever works for me. 

That’s unfortunately something where Veeam’s support could never come up with a solution, they always wanted me to restart the computer as a troubleshooting step, but then of course it was completely stopped when the computer started up again and it didn’t reoccur if the job was ran again manually after the restart so they considered it fixed, so we could never figure out why the “stop” button didn’t actually succeed in stopping a job.

I’d be curious to know if you ever determined a reason the job wouldn’t stop, but if it’s not a common issue for you then you probably don’t need to look into it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I quote Chris, done many times using job ID and task manager.

You can find the correct job ID editing the job (i.e. https://www.adminnotes.net/how-to-kill-veeam-job-stuck-in-stooping-status/) , or using the Get-VBRJob Veeam powershell command!

Very nice article Marco. 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I’ll often disable jobs to make sure nothing else starts up, wait until a slow period and reboot the whole server. If it happens often though consider placing a ticket with support. 

HelloI'm having this problem now, I even opened a support case, but I haven't found a solution yet.I would like to add that we rebooted the Veeam server and the SQL database server.Even so, the problem continues, we have an oracle rman plugin job, being executed on a physical server and the job remains in the stopping status and even restarting the machine it did not return to normal!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
HelloI'm having this problem now, I even opened a support case, but I haven't found a solution yet.I would like to add that we rebooted the Veeam server and the SQL database server.Even so, the problem continues, we have an oracle rman plugin job, being executed on a physical server and the job remains in the stopping status and even restarting the machine it did not return to normal!

Did you try restarting the Agent service on the Oracle server to see if that fixes it?  Otherwise wait for support to help as this can get tricky.

Hi Cris, I don't have access to the server, I asked the responsible DBA. I'm waiting for a response.I was hoping for some command, which I don't know, that could helpStill, I appreciate your response.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Cris, I don't have access to the server, I asked the responsible DBA. I'm waiting for a response.I was hoping for some command, which I don't know, that could helpStill, I appreciate your response.

Not a problem.  Wait and see if restarting the service on the box fixes it or not then go from there.

Comment