Question

Failed to save Veeam CDP proxy: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’ve been googling and am about to open a support case, but I’m checking here first.  I have just built my first linux proxy servers using Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.  Super easy, works great.  Except I have two more that I’m trying to build as CDP proxy’s.  I can setup as regular VMware Proxy’s, but when I attempt to install the CDP Proxy, I get the below errors.

Error    Failed to save Veeam CDP proxy: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it <IP Address>:6182

Error    Infrastructure item save failed Error: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it <IP Address>:6182

This is my first time using Linux CDP proxy’s.  I did have Windows Proxy’s in place but was having an issue with starting the CDP service on those machines after upgrading to 12.1 and decided to just remove those VM’s because they were 2012 R2 and are being replaced/retired anyway.  Unfortunately, I’m not super well-versed in Linux so I’m learning here.  This sounds like a network issue, but we’ve used CDP on the network before, and I’m not aware of any firewall enabled on the proxy servers.  I have it happen with the VM at both the primary and recovery sites.

Thanks for any pointers you may have….

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Linux f/w is a bit more...umm...how can I word it...”exact”? “secure”? 😊

Anyway, it appears you may need port 6182 open for the service to install? Here is the Ubuntu Guide on how to open a port. I don’t use CDP, so this may not resolve your issue...but worth a try.

sudo ufw enable

sudo ufw allow 6182

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Actually Derek...scratch that. 6182, as I’m thinking..is just the standard service port Veeam uses...nothing special. I don’t believe adding that port matters. I run Ubuntu 22 for both my Proxies and Repos and didn’t have to do that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Try running netstat -anb to see if anything is listening on the port (6182) Derek. If something else, for whatever reason, is..there’s your issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Another thing you can try is...if you’ve just built this server up, and haven’t done so yet...you may simply need to perform a reboot. After installing the OS, did you run the upgrade/update cmd? 

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Another thing you can try is...if you’ve just built this server up, and haven’t done so yet...you may simply need to perform a reboot. After installing the OS, did you run the upgrade/update cmd? 

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

No, but I’ll give this a try.  I looked up the firewall and assumed that if I hadn’t enabled it, it wouldn’t be running.  I didn’t see anything running on 6182.  I followed a guide I found online for deploying the proxy but it only addresses VMware proxy’s, and to that end, that worked perfectly.  But CDP is giving me an issue and I’m not sure why.  I do have a case open with support.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Will report that the update didn’t change anything.  Awaiting support….they did reply last night about seeing some credential issues in the logs, but that was earlier in the day when I fat-fingered a password, so nothing back since then.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ugh...ok. Will await to hear what they say. Thanks Derek.

Hello Derek, did you by any chance install the minimized version of Ubuntu? I did and encountered the same error.

After I ran the “unminimize” script to return the system to the default installation, the CDP proxy add proceeded without errors.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello Derek, did you by any chance install the minimized version of Ubuntu? I did and encountered the same error.

After I ran the “unminimize” script to return the system to the default installation, the CDP proxy add proceeded without errors.

Let me check into that….I don’t think so, but I’ll have to verify.

For those following along, support has been trying multiple things.  We did find that my old CDP proxy in the database had a version number listed of 0.0 and we removed that entry, we found that the servers were in UTC rather than CST, so we fixed that, I’ve sent them several logs, config files, copies of the configuration database, etc.  Haven’t found the root cause yet.

Hello All - was this issue ever resolved?  We are experiencing the exact same behavior as the screenshot in our deployment.   Linux CDP proxy VM is Ubuntu 22.04 LTS as well.  

Interestingly, one thing we’ve observed during the deployment process - it appears that things are progressing ok and the CDP proxy starts actively listening on 6182, 33032 & 33033 … then when the wizard eventually errors out, those 3 ports are torn down and no longer are listening.  But the ports do come up for a couple of seconds.

We’re at the point now of opening a case with support, but curious if your case was able to make any headway.  Thanks!

Comment