Question

Failed to create backup metadata in every tape job

did anyone encountered this after upgrading to veeam 12.0 it hapend on every tape job:

04/06/2023 17:11:47 :: Failed to create backup metadata info: Veeam.Tape.Core.TapeMetaGenerationException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Veeam.Tape.Core.TapeMetaStorage..ctor(CStorage storage, ITapeBackupObjectsCache cache)
   at Veeam.Tape.Core.TapeBackupMetaGenerator.GenerateBackupMeta(CBackup tapeBackup, TapeBackup tapeBackupSpecific)
   at Veeam.Tape.Core.TapeBackupMetaGenerator.Generate(CBackup tapeBackup, TapeBackup tapeBackupSpecific)
   at Veeam.Tape.Core.CTapeVmTaskMetaGeneratorRoot.GetBackupMeta()
   at Veeam.Tape.Core.CTapeVmTaskMetaGeneratorRoot.GetSessionMeta(BackupSet backupSet, ITapeDeviceLockManager lockManager, ITapeMediaSetLockManager mediaSetLockManager, TapeExpirationDate expirationDate, ISessionLogger taskLogger, CTapeBackupSetPoint backupSetPoint, ITapeMetaBackup& backupMeta)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Veeam.Tape.Core.CTapeVmTaskMetaGeneratorRoot.GetSessionMeta(BackupSet backupSet, ITapeDeviceLockManager lockManager, ITapeMediaSetLockManager mediaSetLockManager, TapeExpirationDate expirationDate, ISessionLogger taskLogger, CTapeBackupSetPoint backupSetPoint, ITapeMetaBackup& backupMeta)
   at Veeam.Tape.Core.CTapeVmBackupTask.GetSessionMeta(BackupSet backupSet, CTapeBackupSetPoint backupSetPoint, ITapeDeviceLockManager lockManager, ITapeMediaSetLockManager mediaSetLockManager, TapeExpirationDate expirationDate, ITapeMetaBackup& backupMeta)  

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Never seen this but are you on the latest patch for v12?  You can get it here and see if that fixes the issue - https://www.veeam.com/kb4420

Otherwise I would open a support case and check the forums also - https://forums.veeam.com

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yeah...same as @Chris.Childerhose ..not heard of anyone having tape job errors/issues. And if I’m not mistaken, it appears the ‘patch’ download is the same file as the ‘upgrade’ download (both ISOs), so you should be good, as long as you downloaded the ‘upgrade’ within the past month.

Badge

Just upgraded from ver 11 to 12, now got the same issue with tape job:

Failed to create backup metadata info: Veeam.Tape.Core.TapeMetaGenerationException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. 

opened a case with support, but while I wait for them, was there a resolution to the problem ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry to hear you’re having the same issue @vp1 . Hopefully @marko.e has a solution and can post it here.

And what was the solution?

I’ve got the same issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Curious to find out the solution myself...if @marko.e and @vp1 got one from support?

Badge

Our issue was that the upgrade to Veeam ver 12 had failed (support eventually said it was due to Anti virus software), though support checked and said the main upgrade to 12 had completed ok, but what was missing were the later steps that applied a patch (the iso file contained a patch  20230718), so applied the patch and rebooted the server and the tape backups then worked ok

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ah ok....good to know. Thank you for the update @vp1 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great to hear it was solved and what the fix was.  Amazing what a patch will do.  😋

Our issue was that the upgrade to Veeam ver 12 had failed (support eventually said it was due to Anti virus software), though support checked and said the main upgrade to 12 had completed ok, but what was missing were the later steps that applied a patch (the iso file contained a patch  20230718), so applied the patch and rebooted the server and the tape backups then worked ok

Thanks, vp1, I’m already in p20230718. I’m going to open un case… 

Comment