Ever wanted a Write-Once SSD? It’s now here, sort of…

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Evening,

Wanted to share this interesting intersection of marketing & technology, the write-once SSD. Correct this isn’t April Fools… Verbatim have announced a write-once SSD.

Theres a 10 year warranty against drive failure, it uses an exFAT file system and can be read by any OS supporting exFAT, but you require Win 10/11 and .Net 4.8 to install the proprietary software to write to the drive.

Somewhat unsurprisingly, there are huge caveats listed, effectively it’s not tested to destruction against experienced hackers, but a handy way to prevent accidental file deletion.

I wonder if we’ll start to see a market for this emerge…

Interested in the full story? I read it on Tom’s Hardware here: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/verbatim-write-once-ssd

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hmm this should be interesting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

How to increment product sales 😂

Badge

I’m struggling to see a use case for this.

If you want immutable storage, then you go for a hardened repository. At least that way you can specify a retention policy.

If you have to keep data permanently, then an archive tier or tape would probably be the way to go

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

This does look interesting. Wondering if it has be to plugged in regularly so the SSD can still ‘remember’ what is stored on it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’m struggling to see a use case for this.

If you want immutable storage, then you go for a hardened repository. At least that way you can specify a retention policy.

If you have to keep data permanently, then an archive tier or tape would probably be the way to go

I can understand! If you aren’t using Veeam then this might be interesting as well as it prevents against accidental deletion. Therefore, I kinda agree with @Geoff_B on immutability, because of the native Linux immutable flag to protect files.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Found this product too the other day. It’s the right disk if money doesn't matter, I guess ...

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I see a use case of this for things like escrow or “offline ship and seed” situations. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

or possibly use it for a data custody situation. Or when investigating security breaches or malware.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

or possibly use it for a data custody situation. Or when investigating security breaches or malware.

Very good point.

Comment