Solved

Error with USB Backup Copy - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

• 21 December 2021
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 1

I’ve seen this error message in the forums multiple times.

From what I’ve read, there is a non-public hotfix available.
The weird thing is, the backup copy was working fine until the customer swapped USB drives.

I thought maybe the hotfix has been integrated into B&R 11a already, so I tried installing that today. That gets me a different error, also apparently a well known one: VBRCatalog is not a valid short file name.

What I’ve tried:
Setting the registry key for the Catalog Path, but the path already was correct. Haven’t installed any upgrades in the last 3 months. Still running version 11.0.0.837, but from what I saw during the upgrade, VBR Catalog is still version 10.0.1.4854.

Any idea what I could still try?

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 21 December 2021, 14:43

View original

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Only thing I can suggest is update to 11a that version noted for v11 is the original install where 11.0.1.x is v11a. Maybe that will fix it.

Also check the log files in C:\ProgramData\Veeam

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Did you check your source and target repository for corruptions?

Userlevel 1

@Chris.Childerhose I’ve now searched the entire Registry for the term “VBRCatalog” - found one instance where it was pointing at the wrong drive letter. Fixed and now the 11a update is installing.

@JMeixner the source repository is fine. All other backup jobs are working correctly. It’s only the usb copy that has issues. How do I check for corruptions most efficiently?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Chris.Childerhose I’ve now searched the entire Registry for the term “VBRCatalog” - found one instance where it was pointing at the wrong drive letter. Fixed and now the 11a update is installing.

@JMeixner the source repository is fine. All other backup jobs are working correctly. It’s only the usb copy that has issues. How do I check for corruptions most efficiently?

Hopefully that will address the issue.  Keep us posted.

Userlevel 1

So yeah. After the upgrade was successful the backup copy just finished normally.
It would appear that fixed it. Thanks for your input!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

So yeah. After the upgrade was successful the backup copy just finished normally.

Not a problem at all glad this fixed it.  :smiley:

Not a problem at all glad this fixed it.  :smiley:

Just wanted to add that correcting a registry entry for VBRCatalog fixed an issue for us as well. Trying to do an upgrade from v11 to v11a was failing due to the “VBRCatalog is not a valid short name” error. Searched through until I found an entry under: “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\548FDDBB83EB487478FBC0FD5AC7CDCB” that had the VBRCatalog listed under an incorrect drive letter. Changed from E: back to C: and re-ran the upgrade installer successfully. Thanks for sharing that info here.

Comment