Solved

Error Unexpected meta file size with nfs datastore

Userlevel 3

Hello,

With Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition 11, On one of the backup jobs, when it starts, I encounter the following error:

Failed to perform health check Error: Agent: Failed to process method {NasMaster.TransformMeta}: Unexpected meta file size 348160. Expected size: 356352.

The source is an NFS share stored on a NetApp storage, and the destination is a Synology NAS. I have other jobs that use the same sources and the same destination, and they do not encounter this error.

The job is responsible for backing up user files such as Office documents, PDFs, etc. When it runs, no files are open or currently being modified.

I tried performing a job check as instructed on this page https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/backup/110/vsphere/health_check_nas_backup.html, but I encounter the same error.

Thank's for advance.

Philippe

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 4 January 2024, 14:55

View original

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Philippe, this is actually the health check reporting an issue. Your metadata file isn’t the expected size meaning it’s corrupt. How do you access your Synology NAS? SMB/NFS/iSCSI?

Userlevel 3

Hello,

access to the Synology NAS is via NFS in v3.

I have other jobs that use the same source (but a different NFS share) and the same destination, and they do not encounter any issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

But as stated this is the health check showing you corruption. Whatever job this metadata file references I would run an active full backup to create a new chain to see if that fixes the issue.

Userlevel 3

Unfortunately, this option is only available for VM backup jobs and not for files. Or maybe I haven't found where the option is located :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Try running the File Repair option from here for your file backups - Performing Health Check and Repair for Unstructured Data Backups - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

This shows the health check and if it finds issues what to do.  This might be the way to repair file backups versus running a job.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You can also start a new chain as per here too - Starting New Backup Chain - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Userlevel 3

Hello, it’s ok with this link : Error Unexpected meta file size with nfs datastore

Thank‘s

Comment