Solved

Error: Failed to call RPC function 'FclsExists': The user name or password is incorrect, Hyper-V

Userlevel 2

Veeam 12.1 Community Edition running on Windows Server 2022 Standard.

The host is Hyper-V. 

The repository is on a QNap. 

This is a new installation. 

I’m getting the following error when backing up a VM:

Error: Failed to call RPC function 'FclsExists': The user name or password is incorrect

The passwords for the repository and Hyper-V host are both confirmed good, as I was able to add, remove, and add them, again, to Veeam. 

Thanks, 

Chris

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 27 April 2024, 04:38

View original

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Check this KB to see if that helps - KB1492: Backup to CIFS Share fails with "Failed to call RPC function 'FcIsExists': The user name or password is incorrect." (veeam.com)

Userlevel 2

The credentials for the network share have not changed since I originally added the repository, and I’m able to edit the repository, forcing Veeam to authenticate to the share, again, before closing that window. 

Veeam thinks the credentials are correct until I try to actually run the backup job. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The credentials for the network share have not changed since I originally added the repository, and I’m able to edit the repository, forcing Veeam to authenticate to the share, again, before closing that window. 

Veeam thinks the credentials are correct until I try to actually run the backup job. 

Unsure what to suggest at this point since the error clearly states a credential problem.  I know you are using Community Edition but support would be the best help now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

What server is being used as the gateway for the SMB share? Is it set to automatic or is it defined as a server? Wondering if another server is unable to access the QNAP. Does the QNAP have any logs that indicate why it isn’t connecting successfully, such as an network ACL list for who can connect from an IP Address standpoint.

Can you supply some logs from the gateway server for the backup failure please

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

The host is Hyper-V. 

Error: Failed to call RPC function 'FclsExists': The user name or password is incorrect

The passwords for the repository and Hyper-V host are both confirmed good, as I was able to add, remove, and add them, again, to Veeam. 

Thanks, 

Chris

Do u check network connection both hyper-v to storage? If u have connection u should check ports

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Could you let me know if you're using a Domain account? This could be locked. I had an issue recently when I was testing an “ENS solution”. A quick way to test to to right-click on an application and select run as a different user. Enter this account to see if the credentials are ok. You can do this from the command line which is more straightforward if you ask me.

Userlevel 2

The host is Hyper-V. 

Thanks, 

Chris

Do u check network connection both hyper-v to storage? If u have connection u should check ports

Ports are good, and I’m able to get to the network share from Windows. 

Veeam is able to authenticate to the share when setting up the repository, but not when actually running the backup. 

Another Veeam server is able to use the same QNap share with the same credentials.

Userlevel 2

Could you let me know if you're using a Domain account? This could be locked. I had an issue recently when I was testing an “ENS solution”. A quick way to test to to right-click on an application and select run as a different user. Enter this account to see if the credentials are ok. You can do this from the command line which is more straightforward if you ask me.

I’m using a local account on the QNap, not a domain account. Another Veeam server is able to access the QNap share with the same credentials.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’m using a local account on the QNap, not a domain account. Another Veeam server is able to access the QNap share with the same credentials.

What about adding a second credential to the QNap to try that with this server?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Try to run rescan on the Repository by going to Backup Infrastructure and see how’s it going.

Userlevel 2

Try to run rescan on the Repository by going to Backup Infrastructure and see how’s it going.

I’ve tried this, and rescanning the repository works fine. I’ve rescanned, changed the credentials, and removed and re-added the repository successfully, all of which involve Veeam authenticating to the share successfully.  

Everything looks like it’s going to work until I actually try to run the backup job.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I would suggest support at this point.

Comment