Skip to main content
Solved

Elegant way to delete only monthly backups from Object Storage repo

As we all (must) know, when you have e.g. yearly and monthly restore points for multiple machines in one chain on a ‘classic’ backup repo, you can delete the monthly backups from this repo by deleting the according files (VBK, VIB, VBM).

This allows to manually keep the repo and only allocate storage for yearly backups.

How do you achieve this on object storage ? I can delete machines from a backup, but then all restorepoints are affected. The same granularity to delete some points in the chain would be nice.

This helps to save storage on public cloud storage accounts that were previous used to store monthly and yearly backups, but now to keep more backup points, the customer only want’s to keep the yearly backups because he already builded a monthly chain on another repo.

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Interesting dilemma @kristofpoppe . I’m not aware of any way to perform this. This would probably be a great feature request post on the Forums.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

There is no way to do this I am aware due to the way Veeam stores files on object which is much different than traditional storage.  It is definitely a request to post on the forums for an enhancement.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

How do you achieve this on object storage ? I can delete machines from a backup, but then all restorepoints are affected. The same granularity to delete some points in the chain would be nice.

If the chain is still attached to a job, change the retention as required (remove monthly retention to remove backups with monthly GFS tags) and job retention (or background retention) should take care of it. As long as the backup files are not immutable of course.

For orphaned chains, I would try the following. Create a new backup job, configure the retention as required (keep daily + yearly) and let our retention session take care of removal of the monthly backups.

Deleting selected backups within a chain is not possible today through the backup console. But this is a request we get from time to time. I’ll add your organization to the request, @kristofpoppe.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If the chain is still attached to a job, change the retention as required (remove monthly retention to remove backups with monthly GFS tags) and job retention (or background retention) should take care of it. As long as the backup files are not immutable of course.

For orphaned chains, I would try the following. Create a new backup job, configure the retention as required (keep daily + yearly) and let our retention session take care of removal of the monthly backups.

Deleting selected backups within a chain is not possible today through the backup console. But this is a request we get from time to time. I’ll add your organization to the request, @kristofpoppe.

Best,

Fabian

Thanks Fabian for your response, the chain is not attached to a job, so we’ll give it a try with a new job attached to this repo and count on the rention cleanup. It’s quite challenging I can assume to delete specific backup files on specific times due to the fact of the chunks iinherent to the S3 object specification.

Comment